PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from 1911 types

hydrotx
April 03, 2002, 17:00
I took in a 1911 on a trade and want to tweak with it. Its a Caspian frame with an Ithaca slide. I'm trying to determine if I am better off sticking with the slide or getting someother one (STI, CMC, etc.) The reason being, I want to put on real sights and that would involve milling the front sight. The purpose of the gun is for carry so it doesnt have to be a 1/4 MOA tack driver.

My thoughts are to replace:
sights, probably Novak night sights
extractor,
add a beavertail as it has already bled me
extended thumb safety
extended slide release
full length guide rod

What are your thoughts?

TIA
Joel

Wright Brothers Gunsmiths
April 03, 2002, 17:32
Fellow rock hound,

The Ithaca is a good one. Milling the slide for a front sight? I do the Millet stake on or solder. Novak must be machined to fit?
As for your list of things to do....
All good, I would add a bushing job to tighted it up a bit, and an adjustable trigger. I don't like the feel of the overtravel.
I usually tweek the extractor to get 'em to eject where I want, bevel the mag well, port the slide, and generally clean up sharp places and make it slick.
My carry gun is a Rem-rand WWII that was ruined as a collector and I make a car gun out of it. 22 lb spring and 10.5 grns of Blue Dot and the Speer 200 grn bucket hollow points are a sure fire combo.

hydrotx
April 03, 2002, 17:43
Damn a gunsmith and a geo. Living my dream :)

I thought about a new barrel and bushing, but the bushing that is on there is a NM bushing and tight as hell. I am assuming the barrel is GI. Its marked MB on the right side by the link and S P on the left side. I didn't think about staking the sight.

Why do you port the slide? Does it make that much of a difference with a slow cartridge? I could see it with 400 corbon but not a 45??

'TUDE
April 03, 2002, 18:42
Ah fellow rockhounds.
Hydro, by chance if you are wanting to obtain another slide and trash the old one....I'LL BUY IT ! I be in need of that thar Ithica slide thang.

Wright Brothers Gunsmiths
April 03, 2002, 18:55
Porting a 45 involves working on the ejection port to insure good clean ejection of the brass,ie, no stovepipes.
I can even make it feed empty cases! That way it will feed almost anything.
E-mail me and we'll talk.

hydrotx
April 03, 2002, 20:41
Originally posted by Wright Bros Gunsmiths:
<STRONG>Porting a 45 involves working on the ejection port to insure good clean ejection of the brass,ie, no stovepipes.
I can even make it feed empty cases! That way it will feed almost anything.
E-mail me and we'll talk.</STRONG>

Sorry, I was thinking porting as in Magna Porting. I'll drop you a line tomorrow with a phone # and send some business your way.

Regards,
Joel

Deltaten
April 03, 2002, 22:06
hydrotx:

Just my opinion, but....

Front sight; staked OK, but a pinned
dovetail will not come off!
Novak's a dream rear sight
Porting's great!
Leave the oversize stuff OFF! Nuttin's worse that snaggin'one of those big stickinout dealies on your coat/shirt on the draw. Leave it for the comp gun, not on a carry piece.
"melt" the rough/sharp corners.
Bevel the mag well and/or put on an S&A main spring/bottom unit, but remember to use at least 1/4" rubber bumpers on da mags. BTDT.
Your choice of adj, triggers. I hate overtravel. I think mine's a Wilson nylon/aluminum???
NO full length guide rod. Got 'em on my comp pieces, but not on carry, Ya can't "press check" a round in place one handed w/a rod; least not easy! DE's got no rod, and a nylon pin to boot..no prob after several thousand rounds. Never had a spring go wanky on me yet!

Do whatever you're comforatble with; just think well about it first. Your life may depend on it.
My .02,
Paul