PDA

View Full Version : Small locking shoulder size

scout762
September 05, 2001, 15:46
I am building an StG58 parts kit on an Entreprise receiver. I have heard stories of Entreprise receivers taking unusually large locking shoulders but mine seems to call for a locking shoulder of .252. I have not heard of one that small. Has anyone else? The locking shoulder which came with the kit measures .261. I am waiting final judgement until I can get a set of headspace gauges as right now I am using LC 72 Match rounds and .004 thick pieces of tape to use as a headspace gauge. I don't trust this totally so I am waiting for the gauges.

Jayson at IGF
September 05, 2001, 16:23
I have built several of the Entreprise receivers. The locking shoulder size varies quite a bit. I wouldnt think that it would be unusual to use a .251 or so.

It would still be a good idea to wait for a set of quages before modifying your locking shoulder.

While you are waiting scrub your chamber good and you probably already know this but you want to have your extractor removed when setting the headspace.

Good Luck,
Jayson

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms ]

Stg 58
September 05, 2001, 17:56
I have one that used a .249. made in 96.

Naz
September 05, 2001, 18:47
I also have one that required a .251. Not unusual at all.

Gaspipe
September 05, 2001, 18:59
Scout, not to worry. I just built an L1A1 on an Entreprise type 3 a week or so ago. The barrel timed perfectly with a size 1 breeching washer, and it required a .252 locking shoulder.

Another L1A1 kit built a couple days later on a type 3 needed a size 3 breeching washer and a .262 LS. It's a matter of tolerance variations stacking up. I 'spose that's why we have many sizes available.

Carry on....

scout762
September 06, 2001, 08:32
Thanks for all the reassuring posts on this build as it is my first. I have always been cautious. I do have a professionally assembled L1A1 on an Imbel receiver to use as a reference which helps. This board has been the most help, however.