PDA

View Full Version : New to Fals. Can you give me the CliffNotes Version?

cornholio1
June 01, 2006, 20:10
Could you Fal guys fill me in on building a Fal? I know where to buy the receiver and I plan on getting the DSA Type I or II. Where the best place to buy a full but basic kit that has everything I need except the DSA receiver? I would however like to buy a 10 round fixed mag. Thank you for your time and I hope to be a FAL guy like you.

PowderDriver
June 01, 2006, 20:17
If you want someone to sell you a kit with the required 6 American parts (actually you need 7 but your DSA receiver will count as 1) then your best bet is probably James at GPG. (gunpartsguy.com)

Otherwise, you can buy a kit from other vendors but they will be minus the domestic parts needed to make the rifle legal- and you will have to purchase those in addition to the kit.

No big deal either way, and good luck.

cornholio1
June 02, 2006, 18:46
Power Driver: Will Dans $149 kit have all the US made parts? Thats quite a difference from Gunpartsguy's $420. I am not ragging on GPG, but I was just wondering which is more economical.

Andy the Aussie
June 02, 2006, 18:56
Dan's kit will not have the US parts nor will it be refinished like the GPG kit.

With the GPG kit you just need the receiver (and if you require the 10 round fixed option) and you are good to go.

Andy:cool:

AndyC
June 02, 2006, 19:12
If it helps, I bought the $420 GPG kit a few weeks ago and couldn't be more pleased. Here was my reasoning:

1. James' (GPG) reputation here on the forum.
2. Zero throat-erosion in the barrel.
3. 6 US parts included
4. Completely reparkerized.

That's not to say that Dan's kit isn't worth it - I'm pretty sure it's a great deal and I'm sorely tempted at that price, but being the lazy sod that I am, I know I'd have to purchase and add the US parts anyway, get the whole thing re-parkerized, etc. I don't have the time to bugger around, so...

Both kits have their merits :bow: