PDA

View Full Version : Izzy Heavy Barrel

Rhodie100
May 18, 2006, 00:24
I have just bought an Izzy HB which looks to be in great shape. I have a question about the bore. The rifeling is strong but the bore seems to be tapered. It is strange to me, but when I ran a bore brush through the bore I noticed that the brush fit became looser as it went from muzzle to chamber. There is a definate even "taper" in the bore. The rifeling is sharp and well defined at the muzzle end, and appears to be lighter at the chamber end.
My first thought is that the barrel is quite worn, however I am not sure because I always thought that the muzzle end typically wears the most.
Could this be normal for a HB?

Has anyone come accross this before?

Rivaltm
May 18, 2006, 17:46
i believe that's throat erosion, which is caused from firing (Especially quickly IE full auto)

the muzzle wear issue is more prominent on rifles like Garands, M1 Carbines, etc. It's caused mainly by steel cleaning rods wearing the muzzle down, and on rifles that can't be cleaned from the chamber to the muzle (like the Garand), muzzle wear becomes a more serious problem

At least, that's how it was explained to me

crcksht
May 25, 2006, 18:23
Have the TE checked before doing anything with it. If the throat is shot-out it will likely give very poor accuracy. Good luck.