PDA

View Full Version : No.32 scope ever used on the L1A1?

SHARPSHOOTER
April 14, 2006, 07:06
I was talking to someone here in country about the Fal and L1A1 and he told me that he had observed L1A1 rifles while he was in the Brit Army with No.32 scopes on them. Has anyone on the files ever seen this before? I had never heard this one and it has me curious. I am hoping our resident Kiwi and SLR expert can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

Enjoyin the sun and fun in western Iraq.

Andy the Aussie
April 14, 2006, 16:18
Not to my knowledge here mate, perhaps it was used as such prior to the SUIT being issued to assist with target ID in NI ? That being said I can't recall a Brit mount for such a thing. Parker Hale did use to sell a mount for the SLR now I think about it, I had one for a short period before giving it away in a fit of stupidity.

I am sure Kevin will wander up from the "shearing shed" soon enough to answer you with pictures and a copy of the Pam or instructions as issued .... ;) I would never tell him, I mean an Aussie CAN'T be nice in anyway to a bloody Kiwi, but we would be lost here without him... :eek: :eek:

Hope all is well mate, watch your back and take care.

Andy:beer:

brownknees
April 15, 2006, 05:51
Not sure about the #32 sight, but i've found a few references to the #74 sight being used. As they both look so similar externally maybe that was what was being referred to?

NZ L1A1 Collector
April 15, 2006, 06:11
The shearing shed been cleared and ready for Andy to party in. Your favourite, eweness is ready for you mate.

I'm unaware of the No. 32 being used on the L1A1 rifle, it's possible the SAS used them at some stage or the L1A1 sight (from the L42).

The only Telescopic sight specifically made for the L1A1 was the No. 74, Mk. 1 Telescopic sight and it never got past limited trials. As you all know the L1A1 is not a very good platform for telescopic sights and it was deemed not worth the expense when dedicated sniper rifles like the No. 4T, L39/L42 etc were available.

SHARPSHOOTER
April 15, 2006, 06:45
Thanks Kevin I knew you would answer once you got all the lanolin off your hands where you could type. :rolleyes: