PDA

View Full Version : A rant on things sold in Marketplace

Ricketts
April 13, 2006, 10:16
RANT ON!!

Over the past few weeks, I have attempted to buy a few items on Marketplace. I respond to the posts as requested. I also ALWAYS follow up in Email.

Why can't someone hit "REPLY" with a "You got it" or "Sorry--you didn't get it.".

The last 3 items I have attempted to purchase this week were all met with stony silence. I know I didn't get the item because no one asked me for payment and I saw a SPF on the item--but I waited on a couple of those things for at least a GFYrself--and that can be important because I 'froze' some funds for a couple of days--and missed other things because I felt like I obligated on the first.

I don't care WHO got it if I didn't--I'd just like to know if I did or didn't.

Maybe I'm asking for too much but heck--it is just common courtesy.

RANT OFF

larphred
April 13, 2006, 11:57
Ricketts--I feel your "rant" is justified. What ever happened to common courtesy? However, I must admit that sometimes when I've sold stuff I forget to enter the transaction onto the buyers profile. I've gone back and tried to rectify that, however.

fastprofessor
April 13, 2006, 12:09
I agree. I've been shopping the marketplace much more closely for the last month or so, and I've seen several folks who were seemingly first to respond and then were not sold the item. Nor were they told why.

Its nice when people put something in the ad that tells exactly how to respond. i.e. First "I'll take it" or First PM or First email at this address.."

Unfortunately, with the demand on kits, receivers, and complete builds right now, I think some people are offering sellers more than what was advertised after the deal was made with someone else. Then the seller "ignores" the first guy and sells to the highest bidder. :mad: That kind of stuff needs to be in the auction forum so that everyone knows that the highest bidder (not necessarily the first responder) will win the item.

ftierson
April 13, 2006, 12:46
I think that Greg has nailed what's often happening on the head...

Common courtesy is nice...

Forrest

Temp
April 13, 2006, 12:53
If I had known that sellin' stuff in the marketplace forum could cause a squabble, I wouldn't have given all of it away.

DYNOMIKE
April 13, 2006, 13:43
I feal your PAIN Ricketts...
I have "THOUGHT" I had purchased 3 items in or through the Marketplace Recently only to find out that I had "NOT" made the purchase?
One of them even included acceptance of a payment method, only to have the deal reneged on.. I think lack of comm is real crap.
This topic comes up more often than it should, however with no real rules in marketplace I guess it will remain a "Buyer Beware" venue.
The lack of comm as well as Seller Etiquette/ Courtesy will prolly "NOT" go away.
There are some very good points posted here, the Highest bidder thing may be a real explaination in some transactions that Weren't?

Mad Dog 7.62
April 13, 2006, 17:20
Common sense and courtesy in our marketplace seem to be a thing of the past, which is why I rarely buy or sell anything there anymore. I have had the same frustrations you have. There are people who post something for sale, then go out of town for 3 days and leave everyone hanging. I have also had the experience of being first to post and PM that I would take the item, only to have the seller go ahead and sell it to someone else who PM'ed them with a offer of a higher price. If it would have been an auction, it would have been fine, but it wasn't, and I said I would take it at the posted price. The FAL Files ain't what it used to be.
MD

jerrymrc
April 13, 2006, 21:54
Originally posted by Mad Dog 7.62
Common sense and courtesy in our marketplace seem to be a thing of the past, which is why I rarely buy or sell anything there anymore. I have had the same frustrations you have. There are people who post something for sale, then go out of town for 3 days and leave everyone hanging. I have also had the experience of being first to post and PM that I would take the item, only to have the seller go ahead and sell it to someone else who PM'ed them with a offer of a higher price. If it would have been an auction, it would have been fine, but it wasn't, and I said I would take it at the posted price. The FAL Files ain't what it used to be.
MD

I have replied to a couple of ads within 15 min. 2 weeks later others and myself are wondering if the member had a heart attack since there was never any reply.

I do believe (and take note you newbies) that if you place an ad for a fair price that you will be busy for the next couple of hours. More than once I have been bouncing between E-mail, PM's and replies making sure that the first person gets the item unless they pass.

Sometimes it has taken a couple of days to sort everything out. IE guy says he will take it. 3 others want it. first guy does not confirm until next day. I have had to send PM's to many people telling them to sit tight. I have ALWAYS sent PM's saying, sorry but the first guy has spoken for it.

Leaving ANYONE on this board that has sent you a message hanging is not acceptable to my way of thinking (unless it is Vince wanting his mop back or bill wanting a recount of the last election or 411man trying to sell you ammo) I always have put people in order and let them know where they stand.

Just my two cents on the subject. I myself would never entertain a higher offer. I put it out there at the price I set and may the first man win. They do have places for auctions. The Marketplace FS is not one of them.

1MOR
April 13, 2006, 22:39
When I sell anything, I request a PM. First PM gets the item. Had the occasion to sell a refinished DSA G1 kit with a chrome lined barrel a while back. First buyer responded within a minute. Kit went to him. I had started a feeding frenzy with several offers to pay quite a bit more than I had asked, after I posted the "SPF". Like a lot of us, I value the honor of my reputation. I also expect that from whomever I am dealing with.

fastprofessor
April 14, 2006, 07:49
I would like to see more of the members using the Contributor's marketplace. I know that it doesn't get a lot of traffic right now, but it's partly because no one is posting things on there. If some of the contributor's would start posting some of the high demand items there, then I'm sure that a lot more guys would start watching that forum. It might help solve some of the problems we are seeing in the regular marketplace forum.

Falcon
April 14, 2006, 09:30
I often sell in the contributors marketplace with good success. I also like to offer hard to find items for those that contribute and have been here a while, etc. It may take the item(s) slightly longer to sell but there's a more stable clientele.

This may also encourage an influx of new contributors to pay for this access to the goods.

derek huffman, azexarms
April 14, 2006, 11:24
At least you're not extorted for hundreds just for the privledge of posting for sale items in the Marketplace.

D.
AZEX

Powderfinger
April 14, 2006, 13:13
Newbies take note!
Last week an incredible deal came up on an SAR-4800. The newbie selling it caused a lot of confusion leading to the people who posted on his thread, "I'll take it" being left out in the cold with a missed purchase. I expected the newbie to be flamed big time, but he got off easy. I guess the guys who lost out, cut him some slack cause of his ignorance. I was way down the list and got an email and PM saying the sale fell through and it was still for sale. I about shit, and called only to find it was then sold. Talk about dashed hopes! He had emailed and PM'd everyone in the thread with the same message....SO, say "FIRST POST SAYING I'LL TAKE IT , GET'S IT. and then follow the posting order if the sale falls through so next in line has a chance at it.

ce
April 14, 2006, 16:13
Tired of buying lame ass stories, and worn out excuses?

Shop Buttman for that satisfied feeling, where you can take your ol' lady's money, and get yourself something nice.

Fast shipping, and the Buttman guarantee, If you're not happy with your purchase, I'll kick your ass!

Buttman Special for April:
Non-bipod handguards, sandblasted, ready to refinish
$25 delivered, add a matching butt and pad for $25

Long Afrikaan Buttstock with pad and screw, refinished in Zimbabwe Black,
$35 delivered. Solve your short pull problems with this drop in part.

So far, one satisfied customer, and he did not get his ass kicked!

PM Buttman for details, if I can't help you, I'll tell you to go to Hell!

gearlogo
April 15, 2006, 09:22
I sold something yesterday.

I created an ad here then updated it when the item was sold. I also put it up on the akfiles but it was just a link to here. I updated that one as well.

I offered it for sale on the files because I wanted members here to get first shot at it. I could have sold it on gunbroker but it's not always about the money.

Now if I could just bring myself to sell the extra G1 kits I have you'll see them here first as well. :D