PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico Turkey hunting outlook?

BlasterLP
April 11, 2006, 13:16
I am going to head out to NM for a turkey hunt this weekend. Area will be SW of Grants, NM in the Zuni mountains near Big Notch (? ) in NF land.
I am told the elevation will be near 8700' right up on the Continental Divide and the weather lately as been in the 70's during the day and 40's at nite with no storms forecast for the moment.

No, I dont have any turkey loads for the FAL's , yet.

Anyone have any info or tips particular to this area?

thanks in advance.
LP

zack taylor
April 11, 2006, 13:39
I used to hunt in that area many years ago. Rugged terrain, lots o' various critters out there. Spotted several bobcats the last time I hunted that area. Bagging your Tom shouldn't take you very long.

Huntr
April 11, 2006, 22:04
being a resident of "New" Mexico, I am confident that you will find many "illegeal" turkey's here!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :fal:

Huntr

BlasterLP
April 11, 2006, 23:57
thanks for the info and the votes of confidence!!!

Also, forgot to ask.....does NM allow concealed carry for licensed hunters while in the act of hunting?

just curious, Kansas has a law allowing licensed hunters and fisherman to carry concealed on their person while in the act of hunting or fishing.

No, I dont think it covered driving/getting there or selecting your lures in whatever store, just didnt want to try to use my 'get out of jail free' card .

zack taylor
April 12, 2006, 03:35
BlasterLP

Check out packing.org it should give you the low-down on reciprocity with NM.

I'm no legal eagle, but it's pretty much a 'given' that if you are out hunting, you're packing. Whether I'm hunting, fishing, or just trapsing through the woods, I carry a 1911.

Remember to pack water with you, dehydration is quicker at higher elevations. And, it's rough terrain(lots of rocks), wear some stout footgear.

Good luck with your hunt. The Toms are plentiful in that area.

Zack

splattermatic
April 12, 2006, 05:33
getting busted here in nm carry concealed without a ccp, is only a misdameanor and a 25 dollar fine...

so no biggie...

or you can legally carry concealed with no permit as long as the gun is unloaded..

gotta love this place.....

BlasterLP
April 12, 2006, 18:01
thanks for the link zach! from the packing.org web site.................................

* Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on school or pre-school premises.
* Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on university premises
* Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon in licensed liquor establishments****
* Courts (without the consent of the presiding judge)
* Tribal Land (unless authorized by the tribal council)
* On a snowmobile (unless there is no round in the chamber)
* Airport security zones
* State parks
* Many federal properties - military bases, national parks, national monuments, etc.
* While under the influence of alcohol or drugs
* Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon on a bus

splatt, unloaded = no round in the chamber so I should be good to go with a mag in and chamber empty.....thanks for everyone's time in replying and passing along the info!

I have the camera packed so there should be some good pics in store.
have a good one now, have a happy Easter and should be back on Sunday or Monday.

vmtz
April 12, 2006, 22:19
Originally posted by splattermatic
getting busted here in nm carry concealed without a ccp, is only a misdameanor and a 25 dollar fine...

so no biggie...

or you can legally carry concealed with no permit as long as the gun is unloaded..

gotta love this place.....

Or if you piss off the judge six months. It is a petty misd.

Vince

April 22, 2006, 22:23
i killed a black bear in that area a few years ago and have seen lots of bear sign and some nice cougar tracks. i would just carry the pistola on my belt, no need to conceal in the national forest. the south facing side of the mountains is very dry, northern more shady and cooler. 2 weekends ago i saw a bunch of wild turkeys about 3 miles se of mcgaffey lake and a LOT of tracks. i always carry my .45 when hiking around here. the weather is beautiful this time of year but cold at night, it was 18 a few nights ago here in gallup, 40's sound kind of warm. check on the fire condition, i think outdoor campfires are banned due to dry conditions, this winter was very dry. happy hunting.

BlasterLP
April 23, 2006, 00:38
well, our group didnt bag any gobblers. they werent splitting up and stayed with whatever hens they were with. The drought is terrible ! extreme fire conditions for sure.

0302, we did find signs of bear but it was very old, nothing fresh. We camped right at the 8478 altitude marker near the notches and worked both Big notch and Little notch. It tried to sprinkle on us Friday nite and then froze, little beads of ice was all the measureable moisture recieved and it disappeared in no time. Had a couple of Zuni's walk thru the area hunting and on their return walk saw a hen running across the road within 100 yards of our camp in the middle of the afternoon. Only close up of a gobbler we had was when we were driving out of the park to return home but it was still good just to get out and about and see new country.
I climbed up on Big Notch and took pics of the camp below and when possible, back towards the west across the valley and mesa's that was on Zuni reservation land, I think.

Our hosts were retired US Fish and Game wardens who love the outdoors and are at home in the mountains. Let me tell ya, I never would have thought a 70 yr old guy could move so effortlessly up the slopes and run this flatlander out of breath like he did!!! Between that and the good meals cooked up the sleeping bag in the camper made for a great nights sleep!

With some luck, we may return for the tail end of the season there in NM, now to go out and do some home area hunting here in KS :)