PDA

View Full Version : Chamber cleaning

Slugger
October 03, 2001, 16:47
Prior to barreling my receivers I want to make sure my chambers are as clean as can be. (For the best accuracy of setting/testing headspace) I don't yet have a FAL chamber brush. What can I use instead?

Will a .45 cal brush do the deed, or is there a better option that I can pick up quickly?

Derby FALs
October 03, 2001, 17:56
Strip of Green Scotchbrite in a nylon cleaning patch holder. The one with the oval head. I use a drill motor at a very slow speed. Doesn't take much and you might want to finish with a white or gray pad.

kotengu
October 03, 2001, 18:44
I don't suppose you have a Glock .40 cal nylon brush? That works perfectly for the chamber as well as the gas tube......

Slugger
October 04, 2001, 09:00
Derby, that otta do it.

kotengu, no . . . not yet anyway.

Thanks to both of you.

Snakeshot
October 04, 2001, 09:02
Yikes, DerbyFALs.
Not a flame, but the green scotch brite pads are rather abrasive and will scratch and even enlarge the chamber.
The scratches will provide a repository for future buildup that will make it harder to keep clean.
Like kotengu says, a nylon brush and some bore cleaner is all I've ever needed.

ByronF
October 04, 2001, 09:13
Sometimes the most obvious answer is the best. How about a 308 chamber brush? You can readily find the Garand cleaning kits that use the segmented steel rods. These use a ratcheting type chamber brush that screws on perpendicularly to a length of cleaning rod.

Also, one of those white bore swabs in the proper caliber to be a tight chamber fit would work well. Smear it up with some Flitz, put it on a length of cleaning rod, and spin it in a drill. This will polish your chamber nicely without removing any appreciable amount of metal. I use one that might have once been a 20 ga. shotgun bore mop. It's nowhere near 20 ga now.

kotengu
October 04, 2001, 12:04
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a Glock ;)

Slugger
October 04, 2001, 12:45
Yeeeeeeeaaaaah . . . that's what I thought you said.

Hambone_22345
October 04, 2001, 15:11
A worn .45 cal bore brush will work pretty good. I wouldn't use anything abrasive, especially in a chrome chamber.