PDA

View Full Version : Springfield SAR48 HB front end question

thorby
October 03, 2001, 08:24
I just took delivery (actually my dealer) of my Springfield Armory SAR48 HB machinegun. The gun is in excellent shape and I can't wait to give it a whirl.

However, the front end, the bipod mount, has a strange configuration i've never seen. Is there some documentation somewhere on the web about these bipod mounts anywhere?

Anyone else have one. I'll try to take some digital pics of this misconfiguration.

BMB
October 03, 2001, 14:35
Can you describe it? It should have a long flashhider similiar to an M14 and then the coupler that it screws into. The coupler has "ears" on it that a flat limiting strap with an eyelet on the end fits into with a pin. The bipod "cylinder" should be under the strap, this keeps the bipod from rotating in a full circle. That is pretty much what it should look like.
If you are comparing to the Belgian heavy barrel, yes they are different.

BMB

edited because I got a gashed and stiched finger and can't type one handed. :D

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: BMB ]

thorby
October 03, 2001, 16:24
How is the 'pin' held in place, the pin that holds the flap? On this unit, it's held with a pin like you'd find on a tractor or trailer hitch.

And, how does the flap, which keeps the bipod in the slot, get into the slot without removing the flap?

I need to take a picture.... ;(