PDA

View Full Version : G1 Flashhider Question?

USMC0341
October 03, 2001, 06:48
This may be a stupid question but how do you
remove the flashhider from a G1 FAL?
thanks
George :confused:

W.E.G.
October 03, 2001, 07:43
Drive out the silver-colored pin that runs parallel to barrel.

Then force a screwdriver under the metal clasp that surrounds the rear portion of the flash hider.

Pry the clasp free from its recess until it pivots free of the recess.

Rotate flash hider in the only direction it will turn.

Slide flash hider off end of barrel.

Absentmindedly play with flash hider and metal clasp.

Gash thumb.

corleone000
October 03, 2001, 10:20
mine just twisted off the lug and pulls off.. I can put it back on by sliding on the barrel and twisting it onto the lugs to lock it back on. Maybe it's missing something. IDK

W.E.G.
October 03, 2001, 11:17
Originally posted by corleone000:
<STRONG>...to lock it back on. Maybe it's missing something. IDK</STRONG>

Does yours have the pin holding-down the clasp?

corleone000
October 03, 2001, 13:51
no pins that need to be removed to take the FH off. There is a pin that holds the spring in place (parallel to the barrel).
All I need to do is just twist and pull the FH off....or slide onto barrel and twist to lock.
I thought it was real cool being so modular. Are they supposed to have pins?

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: corleone000 ]

Radio
October 03, 2001, 14:15
It looks to me like the pin locks the flash hider in place. I always have to pull the pin to remove the flash hider. It would seem that the clasp would not have mechancial clearance to move upward out of engagement with the barrel lug if the pin is snapped in... but perhaps I'm just on drugs again. "Pull the pin, Audie..."

--Radio

corleone000
October 03, 2001, 14:41
The assembly on my G1 looks like the spring snaps around the lug when you twist it in to "locked" position. It doesn't wobble when it's locked on or anything. The spring, with downward force, snaps around the backside of the lug. When I twist it off, I have to apply enough pressure to pop the srping back over the lug. I don't know - I'll look at it again when I get home tonight.

sparky
October 03, 2001, 20:16
Mine has a wire lever that hooks around the F.H. When you open the lever you can twist off the F.H. There is no other pin. I don't know why it releases the wire must be dog legged don't know for sure.

W.E.G.
October 03, 2001, 22:38
Before the thumb-gashing incident, I gave my G1 flash hider the hardest twist I could give it short of putting a pipe wrench on it. It wouldn't budge. It may be that some "snap" on and off more easily than others. In any event, mine fit so tight I don't think I could have gotten it off before the guys in the dark Crown Vic could get a good look at it. I took it off, and its gonna stay off. I'll keep it near the TV so my friends can play with it.

farranger
October 03, 2001, 22:41
Gary, I always get the biggest kick out of your postings, if there's a program America's funniest home posting, I'm nominating you. Kyle

Slugger
October 04, 2001, 10:23
2 out of 6 don't have the wire. They don't even have the hole for the wire to go into. Go figure?

Turk
October 05, 2001, 21:32
The original (read that early production run) fh's had the wire (& holes). Later version was "improved" by deleating the wire/pin (& holes). Your usual improvement to save money.