PDA

View Full Version : Painted wood

CGGunner
April 02, 2002, 20:01
I hope someone can help me with this problem........I am trying to paint a wood stock, I cleaned it with a grease cutter and sanded it nice, but my paint is still a little tacky after 2 days of drying.I put on 2 coats of primer ,the first coat was a little tacky but not too bad ,so i put on the second. Any clues , I figure i have to start again anyway, but i want the second attempt to be sucessfull!! :confused:

AKASL
April 02, 2002, 20:10
Try a search in the archives.

Looks like I win the bet :p

CGGunner
April 02, 2002, 20:15
Thanks I thought of that too, but i could,nt find anything in that data base that answered my question!!..........So whats the state motto in NH "live free or french fries"???.......hehehe See you at work tomorrow!!! :p :p :p :eek:

jwaters
April 02, 2002, 22:11
I never had good luck with regular paint. Brownell's alumnahyde works well, followed by a coat of Acracoat. However, this is pretty shiney. Alumahyde by itself will dissolve from mosquito repellent, what a pain.

These both take some time to dry (like a week).

Also, did you make sure and strip all of the old finish off first?

MM in NM
April 02, 2002, 23:28
Use a couple/three or more coats of sanding sealer with light sanding between coats as a base for the paint.

CGGunner
April 04, 2002, 08:46
This is what i have done so far.........Stripped all the old paint off,Used Easy-off oven cleaner all over the stock and rinsed off . I repeated this step 2 times, using steel wool the scour the stock while rinsing. .........Then, and this may seam a little harsh to some of use i put the stock in the oven for about an hr at 200 degress. I still get some oils seeping out in variuos places on the stock .so i will repeat the process untill i get as much oil as i can out, then start with a good primer coat. How does this sound to you guys???? :)