PDA

View Full Version : Does my hand timing look good?

Jester
April 02, 2002, 19:12
Please look at these pics and tell me if I'm hand timed correctly. Also what is the thread size of the gas tube fitting that goes into the receiver? Mine is binding a little and there looks like there is a mark in this area that needs to be cleaned up in the receiver. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hydetx/lst?.dir=/G1&.src=ph&.view=t

Thanks,

Jester

[ April 02, 2002: Message edited by: Jester ]

Kilowatter
April 02, 2002, 19:26
From what I can see in the picture, the timing looks good. If the gas tube nut will thread in, even if it is a little tight, I personally wouldn't worry about it. My first build was on a Entreprise Type 1 and the lead in thread was bad enough that the nut wouldn't even start to thread. I ended up using a RCBS champhering tool for for case necks to remove the leading thread that was bad, then it screwed in just fine.

[ April 02, 2002: Message edited by: Kilowatter ]

FAL guy
April 02, 2002, 19:29
Jester....it looks a little bit over timed. The small flat should form a triangle with the metal just left of the gas tube nut hole.
http://www.alltel.net/~jbperry/timed.jpg
You can reduce the overtiming by peening the barrel shoulders a little.

Mike

[ April 02, 2002: Message edited by: newFALguy ]

Jester
April 02, 2002, 19:51
Excellent. While y'all are helping the newby here tell me about this piece:

OK, I've got a case of the DAs and can't post pics, urls, or assemble rifles. Please look at the last photo here: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hydetx/lst?&.dir=/G1&.src=ph&.view=t&.last=1

Thanks

jaybob
April 02, 2002, 20:05
The last photo there is the full auto disconnector. You don't need it or want it. It will not physically fit anywhere with a semi auto reciever.

GSF1200
April 02, 2002, 20:50
What did you paint it with?

Jester
April 02, 2002, 21:33
GSF,

I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel 500 and baked for a few hours. I was surprised with the results, was not expecting it to look that good.

Jester

Radio
April 03, 2002, 10:54
Blurry photos 1 and 2, and photo 4, seem to show a slight over-timing. It does not appear to be severe; you're very close to where you want to be.

Either you can screw in the barrel with 80-ft/lbs of torque and a flat barrel face giving 100% engagement with the front of the receiver, or achieve the standard 120-ft/lbs of torque by peening the barrel face but thus getting substantially less engagement through deformation of the metal.

Or you can file/lathe even more metal off the barrel face and use a breaching washer to obtain the desired hand-timing, like the Inch-pattern rifles do.

In my opinion, you're close enough to "perfect" that I'd just go with what you've got. (I've never really cared much for peening, anyway.)

On your gas nut, the resistance may be due to park buildup inside the receiver threads or perhaps a little bit of crap either there or on the gas nut threads. Clean the threads and use some good light oil and slowly work the gas nut into the receiver; screw in, back off, screw in, back off, until you can get it in all the way. Carefully but forcefully "work" through the resistance. Some of mine have been a bit tight, too, but it all went together in the end with a little bit of TLC.

--Radio

stimpsonjcat
April 03, 2002, 11:45
Looks close enough...try it.

Jester
April 03, 2002, 12:56
Now if I can just get the barrel torqued on. I'm almost there using the oak blocks as described on another post here but I decided to do it right and get a receiver wrench. Just waiting to here back from Casey.

Jester

Casey
April 04, 2002, 00:41
Jester,
I have been getting a bunch of e-mail lately and not sure if I got back to you yet or not. I will have a batch of receiver wrenches done by monday. E-mail me.
celli9152@aol.com
www.angelfire.com/biz/tools4fals (http://www.angelfire.com/biz/tools4fals)

Jester
April 04, 2002, 23:05
Casey,

I got both your return e-mail and voice mail and I really appreciate you getting back to me. I await to hear from you where I can pick my wrench up and how to get you paid. Please get back in touch with me.

Almost have my first very own FAL,

Jester