PDA

View Full Version : Carry handle consensus

DougW
April 01, 2002, 19:18
What is the general opinion to install or not to install the carry handle?

medicmike
April 01, 2002, 20:01
I like the carry handle and have them on all of my FALs

Master Blaster
April 01, 2002, 21:10
I prefer them for a number of reasons. I have Inch pattern carry handles on all of my rifles.

kotengu
April 01, 2002, 22:03
For the sake of variety - I'll be the first to say I don't like them. I put one on my first build (an STG) and have yet to use it, so I've left them off all the rest. None of these parts guns will ever be a "collector," and I build 'em to shoot, not carry like a suitcase.

It even seems kinda irresponsible (muzzle awareness wise) to carry it that way with the muzzle swinging every which way covering god-knows who - but as always, your views may vary.

Do what's best for YOU.

W.E.G.
April 01, 2002, 22:04
I can take it or leave it. No mechanical reason to include it. Sometimes useful when gun is blazing hot.

rob1
April 01, 2002, 23:19
I like 'em. Just another added "cool factor" for me. :cool:

Sumoj275
April 01, 2002, 23:24
Got em on all my rifles, that is the way they were designed. Now, if I were building a shorty I would not want it on there but that is for reasons of simplicity and sleekness.

2 clicks low
April 02, 2002, 00:27
I put a inch handle on my Stg 58

usmc326
April 02, 2002, 00:36
Try a smooth Imbel or Izzy Light Barrel one, versus a ribbed(abrasive) STG-58, for a day's shooting.

The way you configure your rifle will also effect your decision, because the balance point may/may not be where the carrying handle is.

Muggzy
April 02, 2002, 07:16
I have never had one on my Franknfal. So don't really know if I would like it or not.
Seems like something else to get in the way.
I do use the sling. They look :cool: ,though

[ April 02, 2002: Message edited by: Muggzy ]

ByronF
April 02, 2002, 07:55
The rifle with the bipod has it, the non-bipod rifle does not. I made a steel spacer that fills the gap and follows the receiver contours. I find the handles to be in the way more than they are used.

Byron

bykerhd
April 02, 2002, 08:17
Have two with, two without.
Seem to catch myself less on the ones without. Probably better without if you are a klutz like me.

orca
April 02, 2002, 08:59
I walk BLM a lot, and carry Frank the FAL with me. The center of gravity pivots on the mag and makes him really awkward to carry without using the carrt handle.....I use it a lot and would not be without it! orca :) :rolleyes:

Dlagrua
April 02, 2002, 10:57
In my opinion the carry handle is of minimal value on a rifle. Certainly it is of no value on a scoped FAL but if you shoot your FAL using open sights and have added a sling; I really don't see a need.
I often wonder why carry handles were put on battle rifles like the M-16 and FAL in the first place.

Templator
April 02, 2002, 11:55
I think that they're just useless weight,.. also, folding them up and down over a period of time will put lots of wear on the receiver slot until it gets so loose that the handle rattles around. Look at the condition of the carry handle slot on the receiver stubs of the G1's.

Jonnie G. Tyler
April 02, 2002, 13:38
I agree that the carry handle is somewhat useless and maybe somewhat unsafe (poor muzzle control.)

But, HEY, that carry handle is 1/2 the charm of a FAL. So mine will have them. :D

Unless I decide to put a custom heavy barrel on, free floating h/g's, etc, and think I need a receiver that isn't cut.

Radio
April 02, 2002, 16:36
Sometimes I use 'em, sometimes I don't. But I have them on all my rifles. Nice to have an option to slinging the thing. Particularly on the HB; strap cuts into my shoulder after awhile as that pig is h-e-a-v-y. (But oh so kewl.) (Okay, so obviously I need a wider sling on that one.)

If your handle is loose enough to flop, just remove it, put it in a vise, and bend open the wire loop a bit. Problem solved, nice and tight again.

--Radio

Stu
April 03, 2002, 10:22
I prefer inch handles....the STG one looks cheap and is too small. The Imbel handles look well designed too (good n meaty)

I did find that on long marches (ie forced marches during training) it came in handy. I sometimes stuck the handle into my web belt and let the webbing carry some of the load and just kept my left hand on the pgrip to make sure it didn't fall out.

[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: Stu ]

gearlogo
April 03, 2002, 11:28
on an MBR the handle is so you can grab more than one. ie if you had to pick up a wounded mans rifle. it serves no othe purpose. Try to grab it in the military and someone will bite your head of. I allway grabed my 16 in front of the mag when I had a one armed hold on it. the wieght of the barrel would make it point down without breaking your wrist.

My .02

gunplumber
April 04, 2002, 12:58
Carry handles are for sissies. carry it at the ready or slung. Its not a bloody purse, mate.

kotengu
April 04, 2002, 13:52
Once again, Gunplumber's pic fits the words he wrote perfectly! :D

It cracks me up everytime.......

EMDII
April 04, 2002, 14:44
For carrying onto/off range or to the rifle case, handle is OK. But for business, I prefer the sling in 'assault carry', or the muzzle-down ready position. The ergonomics of the FAL PG actually make this quite pleasant, even w/ a ten-pound FALO-C.

Scythian
April 04, 2002, 16:33
I love the carrying handle!

It's the only way I can carry a small cooler of beer and the FAL in one hand and my picnic basket in the other.

It's the perfect picnic rifle.

Radio
April 04, 2002, 17:47
That's it! I'll have my wife carry the purse and gunplumber can hump my HB however he pleases as we all walk to Scythian's picnic!

Oops, that leaves me to hump all the ammo... :(

--Radio