PDA

View Full Version : What am I getting myself into?

223REM
March 31, 2002, 23:59
On a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the hardest) how difficult would it be to build an FAL?

I am new to the FAL, but have built and serviced many AR-15's.

I was hoping to build a DSA quality rifle at a surplus price ($600 versus $1200). There are particular parts on the rifle I want new, but the suplus rifles do not seem to have what I am looking for.

Any thoughts?

223REM

Templator
April 01, 2002, 00:08
The truth?,.. basically,.. you have to come up with a way to hold the barrel tightly enough that you can screw the receiver onto it.

You have to know how to read a micrometer,.. so that you can measure the locking shoulders.

You have to be able to pound the locking shoulder through the receiver without battering anything that's not supposed to be battered.

That's pretty much it.

There's tools out there that make all of the above mentioned reasonably simple,... you'll see posts from people who didn't buy the tools in the gunsmithing section,.. snivelling about rounded barrel flats, warped receivers, and such.

:D

blackbird
April 01, 2002, 02:46
Originally posted by 223REM:
<STRONG>On a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the hardest) how difficult would it be to build an FAL?</STRONG>

Short Answer: 3

The job is much easier if you have...

1. Barrel vise
2. Receiver wrench
3. Dial caliper
4. Plug gauges .254 to .272 OR stepped rod FAL tool
5. Buttstock tool

...you can do it with lesser tools but don't count on a DSA quality build with workarounds unless you are incredibly lucky.

Don't forget you need 6-7 U.S. made parts from the list of elegible parts (do a search) in order to make it legal. Perhaps you can work it out so that these parts satisfy you need for changes from the "surplus rifles"

W.E.G.
April 01, 2002, 08:16
Complete instructions on how to build a FAL at home at:
http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01.html

Derby FALs
April 01, 2002, 10:45
Spend $30 on Gunplumber's Video (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/fal/pagefal.htm)

ByronF
April 01, 2002, 11:10
How about a DSA quality rifle for ~$700 that is built by DSA? The STG58A rifles are Austrian kits built on their receiver with the required number of US parts. Much cheaper than their SA58 rifles, which are supposedly 100% US made, whatever that's worth. I'm not sure of the exact dealer prices but someone around here should be able to tell you. Building a comparable rifle for under $700 will be very challenging.

Byron