PDA

View Full Version : Wood furniture

Primative
March 31, 2002, 21:11
O.K., wood is on the way. I am putting it on an L1A1. I would appreciate any comments, tips, or suggestions concerning installing the wood. I expect to get the set next week from Dan at VOW. I also have some Brownell's Aluma Hyde II "dark park" color on the way. The rep said to use it instead of Gun Kote...said it was more durable than the regular Aluma Hyde or Gun Kote. Any tips about the application of this stuff?

I am trying to get a Century to look better since it has proven to shoot well. I know real parkerizing would be better, but I dont want to get that deep in this project. I may go with a kit and do the park bit later.

Thanks for all your help.

TooTech
April 01, 2002, 00:24
The AlumaHyde is good stuff, but for parts you can heat up, Brownell's teflon-moly paint that you bake on is even better.

With either finish, degrease carefully, now degrease again, roughen up the surface with fine grit sandpaper, and warm the part before applying paint.

Have fun!

:)

April 01, 2002, 07:49
Ironwood is great stuff. The unfinished wood may have fuzzy edges where cut. These fuzzies come right off using sand paper. 3M "Sandblaster" is the best sandpaper I've found for woodworking.

Clean all the oil and grease from your rifle and test fit the wood. You will most likely have to fit the wood just a little here and there. Oil and grease on the wood will mess up the stain/finish so keep the rifle clean for now.

Now that everything fits, you have to use something to finish the wood. Everyone has their favorite finish. I like to keep it simple. Behr Tung Oil, right out of the can, no stain. Make sure you read the directions, I wasn't happy with the finish until I started putting it on the way the directions said to. This is not an instant gratification project. It will take a week or more because the finish needs to dry for a day or more between coats and you need several coats. Dan at VOW has a finish that is supposed to dry in minutes but never tried it.

Aluma-hyde II is supposed to be good stuff. Never used it but from what I hear, it needs weeks to cure up. It is soft and easily damaged when it first dries.

Primative
April 02, 2002, 21:21
Thanks. I painted the metal tonight, and am in rush since the wood is not here yet. It should cure enough in a week. The spray looks great! Quick burst easily covers the part without running.

I would like to know if the paint can take heat from the barrel? I have the barrel masked off now, but would like it to match. Can anybody advise on this question?

TooTech
April 03, 2002, 23:37
At any likely rate of firing, the paint will take the heat without difficulty.