PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to Jakarta, Indonesia?

snowhawk jockey
April 03, 2006, 23:34
My wife is considering a job there. We would be there for a year.
I have mixed feelings about the idea.
Being in the middle of the South Pacific sounds luxurious, but...
Is this something I should get excited about or feel the hair on my neck stand up?

trs
April 03, 2006, 23:50
Well I worked there 10 years ago. I liked the place as a place to work for a while, but wouldn't want to put down roots. Great beaches. Good coffee. The people at the time I was there were great. Have to remember someone working in a factory making Nikes at that point in time, was earing $1.40 a day. You can probably afford a maid, a gardener, and a driver. Remember I was there pre 9/11. They've since blown up a club or two and beheaded a couple of school girls in outer parts of the country. Anyone have a more recent experience?
YMMV, and all those other disclaimers.

trs

phil in indy
April 04, 2006, 09:52
Never been there but it seems like it is predominately muslim. Be careful.

Powderfinger
April 04, 2006, 11:38
I went to Indonesia (Bali) in '00 before 9/11. It was a tropical paradise. Now, I would have second thoughts. Indonesia has the biggest Muslim population on the planet. The terrorist bombing target in Bali was chosen because of the high number of infidels known to frequent it.
Taking the job would depend on several things. Which company. The company's location and existing security. Housing arrangements. Money. What is the US Dept. of State's position? Yeah or neah? Any decision will require weighing the risks against the benefits.

snowhawk jockey
April 04, 2006, 12:43
Not taking the Muslim quotient lightly(88%), but, I consider Gangbangers and methzombies in innercity US a bigger threat to individual security than the "average" Muslim neighborhood family. The Isrealis seem to have the lions share of "antiwestern sediment" in their faces and they seem to continue on with life. I'll assume that the chances are that one would die in a car accident here at home long before being beheaded in the name of Allah while abroad.
The threat of tropical disease is far greater, in my mind, than the intifada in Jakarta...
Again, a considertion, but not one that will keep me in a foxhole. Low profile, yes; foxhole, no.

As I do reasearch, I am finding that there is a large international(US and European) community doing business and living in Jakarta. My wife's oppurtunity is to provide health and fitness services to these folks. We would not be living and working in a "security compound" rather in an apartment and on the street just like everyone else.

The State Dept. suggested that an attack could occur in Indonesia on 4/2/06, as of yet, no news...
I have yet to find info about self defence laws, weapons access, etc. and am still looking.

Since we won't be hanging out in places like East Timor, I am looking for more oppurtunities, experiences and ideas of things to see/do and not reasons to stay home.

Cava3r4
April 04, 2006, 16:14
I have a friend who is living in Thailand (not Bankok) and he told me that people are getting beheaded pretty regular there and that the national police are having trouble controlling it.
Just be advised.
Bob