PDA

View Full Version : med question and input

RT
April 03, 2006, 00:51
i have been on loratab10/500 for years . and it is not working... i can try oxycotin,or morphine or methidone. but i am scared. as i don't like side effects. what should i do. (some brackground i have rod's and screws holding my back together, and i am in pain 24/7.) what should i do please give me some imput . lateley i have been getting mirgranes. the pain from my head and back are making my life suck. please help as you guy's and gal's are like a family to me. thank you ~Richard :cry: :sad:

Da Nerd
April 03, 2006, 00:58
As some one else who is in pain 24/7, I can understand what you are going thru.
My belief is that pain meds only get rid of the symptom where as we should try and get rid of the cause.
Now if that is not possible, I guess relief is all we can hope for.
Yes pain killers do have many side effects including dependancy.
This is a matter that should be discussed by a doctor who you trust and explore all the benefits vs side effects.
I wish I could be of more help to you , but know you are not alone.
(my wife tells me that, and somehow knowing other people also suffer dont make me feel much better..:) )

Powderfinger
April 03, 2006, 01:04
PM inbound.

jamesq
April 03, 2006, 02:37
i'll pray for you.

Sayeret Tzanhanim
April 03, 2006, 07:08
Hey Rt,
I can vouch for the dependency aspect of it. I was on 720mg of Avinza extended release Morphine and about 150mg of Oxy. The sustained release was very effective especially when you break them open in your mouth. That leads to the issue of dependency. I will not blow smoke. In Harborview after I had been home about to weeks, the shift nurse came in to deliver my meds ( I didn't have the self-administrator yet because of the large amount I required (being an alcoholic, 245lb mercenary). I asked her if I was "gonna get hooked".
She said, "Oh baby, you were hooked the second day you were in here.
What followed was a long nightmare of opiate addiction. I recovered from my wounds and eventually recovered from the addiction. One thing about me: I am an alcoholic so I believe I was predisposed to breaking the rules and abusing my prescriptions
However, If I were to have go through all the surgeries and recovery (and two 12" incisions) with herbs or ibuprofin or electrical stimulators...I just don't know what I would have done
If there isn't anything that helps you Rt, if you aren't sleeping or if you peg the pain scale, get some relief. You can crawl out of the hole, later.
PM me if you need to
ST

Sayeret Tzanhanim
April 03, 2006, 07:10
And Methadone is a sorry substitute. It's meant for addicts who have blown their opiate tolerances out the roof

Sayeret Tzanhanim
April 03, 2006, 07:34
One last thing:
You can be addicted and not be an "ADDICT", semantically speaking.
Your initial post reveals some promising news. When I would go to my doctor and get a new script I would hobbled out and think, "Yes! He shoots, he scores, Ha Ha..."Then I'd be popping them at the drive-through of my pharmacy.
I have a natural tendency for that kind of outrageous behavior.
The good news is from the tone of your post, you don't
Also, something unnatural happened to us. I was struck by a projectile and then gutted like a fish. You had hardware attached to your spine. Natural solutions just may not help much, get relief.
Get relief.

LV Hospice RN
April 03, 2006, 11:04
Oxycontin or MSContin can offer a better level of pain control, putting a small amount of pain med in your system at all times.

Normally Oxyfast or Roxinol is used for "breakthrough" pain when on these meds, hopefully requiring no more than 2-3 doses over 24 hours once your baseline dosage is established.

Bear in mind, with these extended release medications, you will hava a bit of med in your system all the time...therefore NO driving, etc.

Stronger short-term relief can be had with Percocet/Dilaudid combination...and maybe a better choice if you arent having some level of pain at all times...

just imho, ymmv
darrell
sin city

Deltaten
April 03, 2006, 15:34
rt:

Man! I just *hate* to hear this sorta thing from friends.

I live w/daily pain, but it's gotta be nuthin' compared to yours.:eek:

Like ST, I have an addictive personality too. It would be all too easy for me to fall prey to dependancy on drugs; so I refuse to use them. I *do* drink, in moderation, tho;) and if it gets too bad, a cocktail of OTC stuff gets me by.

How some of you fellas can deal w/this shit is amazing. WIsh there was someting I could do or offer, other than commiseration and a hearty "chin up", but Prayers will [hafta] do.

Best,
Paul