PDA

View Full Version : need muzzle brake advice

woodmann
March 30, 2002, 21:36
I'm getting ready to build a carbine and need aadvice on a muzzle brake. I'm looking for: 1. as little noise increase as possible (from the shooter's perception) 2. gas ports that redirect flame somewhere other than straight up into my line of sight 3. if it tames recoil-great, if not-no big deal as noise level and flame redirection are most important to me. Has anyone used moses' brake or the new hesse being offered by FWRA? Any input based real world experience would be greatly appreciated. There was a post on The Files @ a week ago about a brake that was tested by Cruffler.com. I searched there and in the archives to no avail. Thanks in advance.

19kilo
March 31, 2002, 00:14
Umm, who cares of some of the muzzle flash is directed upwards? That is how the M-16 has been doing it for about 20 years now. Also with the recoil going on you will NOT be able to see any of those gasses regardless.
I believe that FAC has a Short Stoll copy made by FSE with NO holes in it. So all it does is act like a muzzle weight. And it looks like the original.

Templator
March 31, 2002, 00:59
The old muzzle brake issue again. I've been talking about this lately because I made a brake for an Izzy clone. ("Toolmakers Izzy" in the Images section about a month ago) If you check it out you'll see that it has 6 holes which form a 90 degree "V" and vent through the top. It thursts the muzzle of the barrel down so effectively that the stock is lifted upward and kicks me upside the head like a donkey. I'm still trying to decide what to do with that barrel. (you wanna buy it?)

Those things that people call "brakes" on a FAL are just for cosmetics. You put a "real" brake on one,.. it's gonna hurt. I know that I'm not the first person who has discovered this,.. I suspect that many people looked at that photo of mine and snickered,.. thinkin,.. "boy!,.. that one's sure gonna hurt!",.. but the jerks never told me about it,... I'll get em back.

Anyway,.. if you want something on the muzzle of your barrel,.. just get what looks good to you,... that's what they're for.

woodmann
April 01, 2002, 10:30
Thanks. Anyone else?

moses
April 01, 2002, 17:59
check out the reveiw cruffler.com gave my brake last april. Mine doesn't increase the volume, does reduce recoil a little and doesn't blow a big ball out the end of your barrel, and looks very close to the original.