PDA

View Full Version : IZZY HVY BRL ON G-1

DUCTTAPE
March 30, 2002, 19:20
I've already gone through the archives and found out that I can have a izzy hvy brl turned down to go on a imbel rec.
Who out there can do this for me;turning down the brl I mean.
What other parts will I need to change out ? What kind of gas regulator will I have to use ?Front sights ? Gas tube,and piston? Etc. ?
I've tried to ask around without having to bother you fine gents ,but to no avail. I 'm sure that with some FALers wanting to put izzy furniture on their rifles,this might also be of intrest to others.
I am serious,and would like to get started on buying parts as soon as possible.
Thank you O WISEMEN OF THE MIGHTY FAL. ;) :D

Mosin Guy
March 30, 2002, 19:25
Hey Ductape, theres NO need to turn down the barrel to instal the Isreali HB on a Imbel reciever,the only thing required is to chase the barrel threads with a 1"x16 TPI threading die so that the Isreali HB threads into your Imbel reciever.HTH

DUCTTAPE
March 30, 2002, 19:33
If that is so ,what about the rest ? :confused:

Mosin Guy
March 30, 2002, 19:42
OK,you will need the Isreali front sight post and fixing plate,Isreali gas piston and the gas tube can be a regular Metric gas tube its your choice,not sure about the gas regulator but I think the standard Metric and the tension spring,also you will need a HB handguard ring.HTH

19kilo
March 31, 2002, 00:05
hey Duct, for the $$$ reasons stated above you could be alot better off buying a DSA bbl and just putting Izzy wood on the thing. It would not be "correct" but it would look good.
Tim

dirtshooter
March 31, 2002, 00:21
DSA has an 'Izzy replacement type' barrel? I don't remember seeing it. I saw some medium weight barrels and some others but... maybe I just missed it.

Ducttape: Just an idea, since the gas piston is usually one of the parts to swap out for US parts count you're mostly restricted to the US one from DSA. The Izzy HB gas piston is a little longer than a metric. I think the gas tube might work though. I'm not sure if they are different but the gas tube nut slides over the tube a little so even if the tubes are different lengths, I'd think they'd both work.

I'm working on the same thing you are. I'm still researching to make sure I have it all right too.

I have an Izzy gas tube and it looks a little different than the regular metric. Not that it won't work, just that I'm not sure how 'original' you want to be.

I don't know if the HB gas tube is 'heavy duty' or not but if it's different than the regular metric I'd suspect it could effect how that forestock clip/washer thingy fits. I'm not sure, just another thing to think of.

The gas block on the Izzy is a little further down (toward the muzzle end) the barrel than the metric.

I'll get mine out and see if I can find anything else.

Good luck! :D

Edit: Also, (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here) believe the Izzy sight line is higher than the regular metric, like the inch pattern rifles, kinda. If that's true you might have to look into which front and rear sight combination you need to get it to work right. I haven't gotten into checking into that yet.

Edit again: I looked at my Tapco G-1 kit and an Izzy HB over a little closer. The gas tube on this HB looks like the same diameter at the ends but about 1 or 1.5 inches from the ends it gets heavier/thicker. I didn't have it clear apart so I couldn't tell if the HB tube was longer but it looks like it. I'm still thinking that a regular metric tube would physically work.

The holes in the HB gas regulator look bigger than in the G-1. Other than that they look the same. I didn't try to screw one on the other gas block. If the holes are a different size then that might cause some cycling problems.

I held the G-1 lower up to the Izzy and the rear sight looks a lot lower on the G-1. Either a different (lower) front sight post (I think there are different sizes) or I seem to remember reading that an Argentine back sight is higher. Or, maybe see if you can find an Izzy rear sight and see if it'd fit on the G-1 lower. I'd expect it would.

I looked at the gas tube nuts. They look exactly the same to me.

Izzy also has a unique front sight spring thing.

I also agree with Mosin Guy & 19Kilo.

That's all I can think of. Let us know how it goes. Pics are always nice! :D

[ March 31, 2002: Message edited by: Chuckp76 ]

DUCTTAPE
March 31, 2002, 10:48
Well the thing is ,I was offered a IZZY HV BRL for $65.00 with a really good bore,and since I just received 3 more G-1 kits from TAPCO I thought ,what the heck ,do something a little different.
These are all my personal toys and will not be sold ,I aslo can not right now afford a true IZZY kit. For the money and spare parts that I have ,I reasoned that this might be fun just to build,shoot and keep. :D