PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Inch Gas-block on Metric Barrel?

gsmart
March 30, 2002, 18:01
Can an inch gas block be used successfully on a metric barrel? I realize that the inch gas port is angled and the metric is straight, but the exit hole on the barrel O.D. is in the same position. Assuming that I have a sufficiently open hole on the barrel, will the change in direction on entering the gas block affect gas system fuction?

colt88
March 31, 2002, 01:31
I've been wondering the same thing. Would like to know for my missing parts kit.

Rich@CGW
March 31, 2002, 02:29
Yes .. It can be done..

It will require fitting in all areas.

Do not drill the gas port through the gas bleed off hole at the regulator. Opening the bleed off hole will counter act the gas volume from the barrel. I recomend you redrill your port with a .100-.104 size bit.. ( bare barrel @ 45 degree angle )Use at high speed , or you may break the bit.

Align the cross cut slots and check gas port alignment with a small enough drill bit that will slide through the bleed off hole into the bore.

If you need to turn the gas block on the barrel,, you can clamp the gas block into a wood blocked vise ( do not clamp on the sight ears ) and turn the barrel with your 27mm wrench.

If you need to redrill the smaller gas block retaining pin, keep the hole at least .005 under the actual size of the pin..

The handguard screw hole will also have to be reemed. Smooth of any burr`s before pressing on the gas block.

Try not to use a Dremel.. :eek:

gsmart
March 31, 2002, 12:51
Now Rich, you know I dont even own a Dremel... ;)

When you say re-drill the port, do you mean use the existing hole as a pilot/starting location and then drill/machine another .100in x 45deg hole?

Rich@CGW
March 31, 2002, 16:39
Originally posted by gsmart:
<STRONG>

When you say re-drill the port, do you mean use the existing hole as a pilot/starting location and then drill/machine another .100in x 45deg hole?</STRONG>

Yes.. Open the existing port.

gsmart
March 31, 2002, 20:55
Thanks Rich! I am going to chuck it in the mill tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how easy (for beginners) it was once I'm done.