PDA

View Full Version : Montana Bound


Kyrottimus
April 02, 2006, 04:52
Montana, here I come...

I lived there for 2 years when I was 7-9 years old. In the Florence and Bigfork areas.... Now I'm sick of Illinois and it's uber-leftist, anti-gun mentality. I also hate the roads, tolls, gun-laws and the fact that around where I live (western Chicago Suburbs, Kane County... not Cook, thank God) the people here are about 98% invalids.

As it turns out, I have a few opportunities out in Kalispell (near Flathead Lake). I'll be moving out there in the next 2-3 months or so.

Any FAL Filers live in that area willing to help me with some local-area knowledge on what to expect with gun-laws, local population mentalities, best property values, local ordinances or basic knowledge in general?

It would be greatly appreciated.

:beer:

Da Nerd
April 02, 2006, 08:29
Wait till the snow melts so you dont get stuck out in the middle of no where.:)
Just kidding, but since you live where it can get cold also, you should not have trouble with it..
Beautiful country. I do not live there, but have traveled thru several times.
You should love it.:bow:

doktor_ecchs
April 02, 2006, 08:30
Moving to Montana soon...
gonna be a dental floss tycoon...
raisin' it up, waxin' it down...
in a little white box
I can sell up town...:rofl:

But seriously, K, your decision to head to a less-populated area is a good one, IMO...:wink:

as ever,
Dr. X :fal:

Para Driver
April 02, 2006, 09:31
spent some time in Circle and Zortman.. very nice folks once they get to know you.. being a 'city dude' from Chicago will take some time to wear off.. it will also take some time to slow down to their pace..

be preparred to order everything online..

Kyrottimus
April 02, 2006, 15:26
Originally posted by Para Driver
spent some time in Circle and Zortman.. very nice folks once they get to know you.. being a 'city dude' from Chicago will take some time to wear off.. it will also take some time to slow down to their pace..

be preparred to order everything online..

I've lived all over the Country, from Evans Georgia, Florence Montana to St. Louis Missouri....

I've been in rural areas and metropolitan ones. I much prefer the rural areas.

As for ordering everything online, I already do that anway! :shades:

BRM308
April 02, 2006, 16:40
Originally posted by Kyrottimus
Montana, here I come...

I lived there for 2 years when I was 7-9 years old. In the Florence and Bigfork areas.... Now I'm sick of Illinois and it's uber-leftist, anti-gun mentality. I also hate the roads, tolls, gun-laws and the fact that around where I live (western Chicago Suburbs, Kane County... not Cook, thank God) the people here are about 98% invalids.

As it turns out, I have a few opportunities out in Kalispell (near Flathead Lake). I'll be moving out there in the next 2-3 months or so.

Any FAL Filers live in that area willing to help me with some local-area knowledge on what to expect with gun-laws, local population mentalities, best property values, local ordinances or basic knowledge in general?

It would be greatly appreciated.

:beer:


Check out KT Ordenance in Dillon.


Sorry you leaving, but I don't blame you.( Saw a blue chevy truck with Montana plates in St Charles this morning. That you?)

Temp
April 02, 2006, 16:57
Montana has areas which are outrageously beautiful. Some of the scenery one encounters in Glacier National Park could be from another planet,... very unique.,.... but it's not for sissies! One one occasion, I got sunburned while hiking on August 6th and awakened to find 3" of snow on the ground on August 7th.

As for the mentality of the locals,.... it's my experience that they take quite a while to warm up to outsiders. In fact, they can be downright rude!

I've heard it said that they're more accepting of new residents after they've survived their first winter. Apparently, quite a few people move to Montana without fully realizing the implications of it's weather. Many soon leave as a result of it.

Kyrottimus
April 02, 2006, 18:10
Originally posted by BRM308



Check out KT Ordenance in Dillon.


Sorry you leaving, but I don't blame you.( Saw a blue chevy truck with Montana plates in St Charles this morning. That you?)

Wow, you live in St. Charles? That isn't far at all. I live in Elburn actually.

I drive a Black Ford Explorer (4 Door) and usually hang around the St. Charles/Geneva border areas.

I'm not leaving until July, but I figured I'd get a leg up on what to expect.



Originally posted by BRM308

Montana has areas which are outrageously beautiful. Some of the scenery one encounters in Glacier National Park could be from another planet,... very unique.,.... but it's not for sissies! One one occasion, I got sunburned while hiking on August 6th and awakened to find 3" of snow on the ground on August 7th.

As for the mentality of the locals,.... it's my experience that they take quite a while to warm up to outsiders. In fact, they can be downright rude!

I've heard it said that they're more accepting of new residents after they've survived their first winter. Apparently, quite a few people move to Montana without fully realizing the implications of it's weather. Many soon leave as a result of it.

I was only a boy when I last lived in Montana, but it was for 2 years, and I found those to be the most memorable and enjoyable years of my young life.

Extreme cold and snow do not bother me one bit. Neither does high elevation or beautiful scenery! :]

But as for rude locals? I can deal with them. Once they realize I share the majority of their mentality, I'm sure they'll accept me sooner or later. I live more around farms right now than anything... but the metro area is far too close for comfort.

We'll see. They'll warm up to me in time I'm sure.

Beepy
April 02, 2006, 19:05
Watch out for the californians! No Joke. Between Whitefish and Kalispell the prices have gone ballistic with huge cali-homes. Still there are alot for sale, most Cali-folks soon realise that they don't like snow and the economy is not there to support their "standard" of living. There are still some affordable areas towards Quorum and Clamidia er.... Columbia Falls.

Enquiring Minds
April 02, 2006, 20:41
God's country fer shure... I'm still lobbying the British Monarchy and AIPAC to recognize my legitimate Biblical claims to large portions of MT, ID, and CO... lol.

As for ordering everything online, I already do that anway!

So much for supporting the local merchants. Easy to rationalize in the anonymous urban areas, but much more important in small towns. Nothin' fooks up the Montana experience like a big box store.

Congrats on your move, and best of luck. I'm sure once you establish your anti-Kali pro-farmboy 2A credentials, you'll be "in".

juanni
April 02, 2006, 23:23
Well I lived in Kalispell for 5 years. Been gone for about 15 years.

When I moved there there was no posted speed limit on the freeways (reasonable and prudent). No motorcycle helment laws (still none). No silly state firearms laws. There was a gunshop across the street from Flathead Community College.

Gorgeous scenery, in general small functional government. No firearm laws really beyond the federal stuff. Self employed is the way to go. Pay is low working for others. Most businesses are not real savy about maintaining regular hours or financial management:biggrin:
So if you are smart and work hard it can be somewhat easy to do well.

Bring your own woman. Good looking ones are scarce and in high demand. Most over 30 have kids, poor and are grossly overweight. Not pretty.

I briefly dated a very good looking but self absorbed 6 ft tall woman. Guys literally knew of her 200 miles away!! I am not kidding.

People are extremely friendly, helpful and honest. Except when it comes to huntin and fishin stories. There the bull can be deep, real deep!!

Lots of firearm companies are in Montana. Montana Rifle Barrel is in Kalispell along with a Montana Rifle ( ?? they make a updated model 70 clone) and some other barrel and stockmakers. Butler Creek is in the Bozeman area. Cooper I think is south of Missoula.

A lot of out of stater's with more money than the locals have flocked there. Drives up land and home prices of course. They usually bring there big government ideas also!!

I never saw much drug use but also have never seen so many alkies. :(
So watch your liver.

If you can make it past 2 winters you probally will stay. That seems to be the point of separation.


Good luck........juanni

dadman
April 02, 2006, 23:41
Originally posted by Kyrottimus
Montana, here I come...


What will you be doing for an income/job?

juanni
April 02, 2006, 23:57
Originally posted by Beepy
Watch out for the californians! No Joke. Between Whitefish and Kalispell the prices have gone ballistic with huge cali-homes. Still there are alot for sale, most Cali-folks soon realise that they don't like snow and the economy is not there to support their "standard" of living. There are still some affordable areas towards Quorum and Clamidia er.... Columbia Falls.

Not to be picky but it is Coram.

Got a funny gun story from there.
My girlfriends alkie mom and alkie boyfriend lived there. One night they had a spat at the local tavern and the guy goes outside and shoots out all 4 of my GF mom's car tires.

Mom calls the cops, who I am sure have had there fill of dealing with this type of people up in "The Canyon". Cop comes out, looks at the damage and finds out that the car is registered in the alkie boyfriends name. He bought it for her as a gift.

Cop says "well it is his car if he wants to shoot out his tires, it is his business".
Got in his patrol car and drove off. :biggrin:
No discharging a firearm in city limits or any of that nonsense.

god I miss Montana ;) ...............juanni

Kyrottimus
April 03, 2006, 02:21
Originally posted by dadman

What will you be doing for an income/job?

Freelance Writing, and maybe a side job to keep me busy in my down time.

FortunateSon
April 03, 2006, 09:26
I've been living north of Ka;ispell for the last 13 years. I wouldn't worry much about the "locals will not warm up to you" thing. Fact is, there aren't alot of locals left who were born and raised here. Alot of people who live here like the peace and quiet and solitude so may not be as social as some from other areas. But be preoared to slow down and figure on 2 hours to drive in for a jug of milk! An hour travel time and an hour to visit with those you bump into in town. Unless you are wealthy stay well outside the towns of Whitefish and Kalispell. Property has gone sky high and alot of the residents are trying to turn them into what they left behind. Get out in the country. In Montana they are required by law to provide telephone lines no matter how remote you are. I have DSL that is almost as fasr as T1 most of the time and have 39 miles of Forest Service roads to get to my place, so a writer can live where he wants! Don't worry about the weather. We haven't had a real winter in 12 years. Even at the worst of times you can get where you want with a good 4wheel drive and studded tirees. Never even had to use my chains. I would advise heading north towards EUREKA to look for property. Think you might be suprised. Best of luck and congratulations for ESCAPING!! Give me an email or PM any time.

Temp
April 03, 2006, 10:18
Originally posted by FortunateSon
I wouldn't worry much about the "locals will not warm up to you" thing.

Just don't ask a waitress what "Jo-Jo's" are.

Turns out that they're fried potatoes,.... but if you see them on the menu, and ask what they are, she's gonna get a very nasty attitude.

Don't ask me why.

rkad
April 03, 2006, 10:50
There is no sales tax in Montana, but they make it up with high property taxes. In Montana, property includes vehicles in addition to traditional "property" like land and buildings. I am not from there, so feel free to correct or expand upon my knowledge of MT tax code.