PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give me some good suggestions for rust removal?

armedpeasant
March 30, 2002, 10:34
OK, my AIM $79 K-31's arrived, and one of them has rust on the outside surface of just about every metal part. Some of the areas have very little rust, and some are covered with it.

I'm not planning on sending it back. The bore is beautiful and all numbers match, and I didn't expect a perfect rifle for $79, so I'm not bothered enough by it to exchange it.

I was looking forward to refinishing and moly coating a K-31, and it looks like I now have one that absolutely needs it.

After all this rambling, my question is: how do I get the rust off of it? Is polishing it off with my Dremel a good way, or is there some sort of solution that I can soak the parts in, or what? Thanks

Terick
March 30, 2002, 11:19
Dremmel's ok for small parts and tight spots. If you're refinishing anyway tho, there's a lot to be said for steel wool, sandpaper, and a wire brush. Also have a lot of respect for wire wheel or equiv. mounted in a drill, bench grinder, etc. It depends on how much damge you want to do. :eek: Good Luck

Templator
March 30, 2002, 11:21
If you don't have an aversion to a bit of labor, a scotchbride pad lubricated with WD-40 will remove the rust and leave a smooth finish on the metal to work with later. Of course, if it's deep, pitted rust, you may need to do some light sandpaper work first. The old standby Naval Jelly is also a good way to dissolve rust.

FAL guy
March 30, 2002, 14:43
You might consider blasting it off. Aluminum Oxide in a blast cabinet will leave a nice matte finish to the steel and remove any residual rust in any pits that might have formed. If pits are any depth at all. You can't sand enough to remove them without removing a whole lot of metal.

Mike

lost
March 30, 2002, 15:33
if its just minor surface stuff and you arent ready do do the molly coat yet. You can make it look LOTS better soaking overnight in p.b. blaster. I used it on an old 12 guage I had forgotten about behind the seat of my truck.( Looked pretty bad )
I wrapped shop rags soaked with PB blaster
around it. The stuff smells horrible but the
next day I wiped it down with oil and you cant find the rust on it! The rags sure looked bad thou.

Viking Warrior
March 30, 2002, 21:30
Scrub with a Chore Boy pad and Oil, It will remove the rust and not harm the finish.

Bermshot
March 30, 2002, 21:46
Triple ought Steel wool will do the job nicely without damage to what finish is left, providing the metal isn't pitted.
Dry is good, but any light oil will work well, too. I like Kroil, but WD40 or even kerosene will do. If you try it, you'll most likely be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Good luck.

HD99FXR3
March 30, 2002, 22:45
i second bermshots method, wet it down, soak over night rub with steelwool, repeat if needed.

armedpeasant
March 31, 2002, 12:45
Thanks for the suggestions. A stainless steel pot scrubber and some WD-40 took care of the rust, and a Dremel with a brass brush and some polishing compound took the black spots off the bolt assembly.