PDA

View Full Version : Front post too tall & charging handle knob loose.

Dutch Boy
March 30, 2002, 08:15
I've been working through a series of problems from my R1A1. I think I have only two(2) more issues.

Problem #1, The front sight post is too tall. When I adjust it to the lowest position and set the rear sight at 200 meters, I'm about 4.5 inches low at 50 yards. I'm tempted to just take a file to it.

Problem #2, The wonderfully (sarcasm) shiney charging handle knob comes off. The last time I painted it flat back to rid me of the shine. Anyway... I've tried using supper glue to reattach it but after 100 or so rounds it loosens up again. What is the recommended adhesive? Or do I just buy a new one?

W.E.G.
March 30, 2002, 09:06
File???

Use a Dremel!!!

Seriously, I <u>prefer</u> a tall front sight. Much easier to see. I just move the rear sight. You can too. Nobody will have to know. My rear sight is set on 400 for 100-yard work on my favorite FAL.

You don't really expect to shoot that rifle at any target that matters at 600 yards do you? You do realize that any standard-width FAL front sight will be THREE TIMES the width of a man's chest (or the kill-zone of a deer) at 600 yards?

But, if you like a nubbin for a front sight, grind away.

bighuff32
March 30, 2002, 13:20
Problem #2

I got the replacement knob and rivet from DSA and following instructions available by searching the board, successfully installed the proper knob. It was really easy and looks great. $10-12 bucks vs. $30 for entire assembly.

Dutch Boy
March 31, 2002, 15:46
That's for both advice tips. I think I'll lease the front sight alone. As for the charging handle knob.... I'll have to look into the info suggested. I see more tinkering in my future......