View Full Version : foreign parts replacement question

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 30, 2002, 03:26
I understand that it is necessary to replace a certain number of parts on a kit gun to make it legal. Are there specific parts that have to be replaced or can I replace ANY 7 parts to be compliant?

March 30, 2002, 07:05

It depends on the gun and the specific configuration. The applicable regulation says that you can use NO MORE than 10 of the following imported parts:

1.** Upper Receiver
2.** Barrel
3.** Barrel extensions NOT FAL
4.** Mounting blocks (trunions) NOT FAL
5.** Muzzle attachments
6.** Bolts
7.** Bolt carriers
8.** Operating rods: (charging handle)
9.** Gas Pistons
10. Trigger housings (Lower Receiver)
11. Trigger
12. Hammer
13. Sear
14. Disconnectors NOT FAL
15. Buttstocks
16. Pistol Grips
17. Forearms, handguards
18. Magazine bodies
20. Floorplates

So, on a FAL you need to replace 6 of the above parts for U.S. made parts if you have no muzzle control device, 7 if you do have a muzzle control device. Note that items 3,4 and 14 are parts a FAL does not have. Other guns have other counts because of the parts that they DO have.

On general purpose builds I usually replace:

Hammer/Trigger/Sear/Gas Piston/Pistol Grip/Buttstock/Muzzle Control Device

You also need to keep in mind the AW restrictions. This means that you cannot have a threaded barrel unless you high-temp silver braze a muzzle control device, you must remove bayonet lugs, cannot have a folding/collapsing stock, no flash hiders.

Hermit River
March 30, 2002, 07:06
You must replace 7 parts (6 if no MCD) with US parts. The ones that count come from a BATF list of 20 evil parts, 17 of which can be found on a FAL. Not every part in the rifle counts just those on the list. Hermit

March 30, 2002, 07:13

Others may be able to quote chapter and verse on total #'s of parts called "regulated by" ATF. I'll try to list the commonly replace ones for you.

hammer, trigger, sear
gas piston
charging handle
Butt,pistolgrip, and handguards
Magazine floorplates, followers

Some use the floorplates and followers from the mags as they are listed parts. It doesn't make much sense to me to limit one's use of magazine to only "compliant" ones!

If a MCD is used, it counts for the 7th part. If not used, the parts count drops to 6. There are prolly some others listed as "evil" parts by ATF, but I don't know if anybody's replacing them on a regular basis.

SO, not considering the MCD, six of the 11 listed above "originals" MUST be replaced w/parts made in USA for the weapon to be considered a "made in USA" product. This gives one a reasonable choice of options for replacement.

I went w/ HTS, GP, CH, PG for my six.

Best of luck,

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 30, 2002, 16:57
Thanks fellas.
One more thing, if I make the parts myself, does that count as US made?

March 30, 2002, 17:04
does that count as US made?

If you live in the US?

March 31, 2002, 02:17
If you make them yourself, and you live in the U.S. they are U.S. made by definition. In case they do start to go after people for this, make sure you take a few pictures or document the manufacture. That's what I did on my stock set ( http://www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000557 ) for example.

Hermit River
March 31, 2002, 15:36
GSF,, Good question. Blackbird, great answer! I was wondering this myself. MCD of course would need approval but the rest just proof you made it I guess. Hermit

April 01, 2002, 16:17
You could make the parts out of stainless, or leave some metal where the foriegn parts don't have any to be obvious.
I think the atf says the parts should be marked US, or be different than any imported ones. I got a tapco AK slant device that was just longer than standard, instead of marked US once.

April 01, 2002, 19:03
Is Zinc strong enough to make a Sear out of ?

I would rather use Plastic than Wood. But, Plastic requires chemicals (Ethylene, Styrene, or Propolyne and a Free Radical) which aren't easy for an average joe like myself to get ahold of. Hell, I can't get simple stuff like sulfur, sodium, potassium, or lithium since the Chemical warehouses only sell to businesses. The only plastic I could make with the chemicals I could get would be Polystyrene (polystyrene is kinda shitty for a stock). I cannot get the chemicals to make Polypolyne or Polyethylene.


April 01, 2002, 21:19
Originally posted by cc48510:
<STRONG>Is Zinc strong enough to make a Sear out of ?

No. Sear is usually heat treated (hardened) chrome moly with at least 40 points of carbon (4140). Zinc wouldn't last very long at all.

April 01, 2002, 21:37
For a stock, maybe a fiberglass layup? If you wanted to make something funky yourself that's not for sale.