PDA

View Full Version : HOODIA ?????????

Da Nerd
April 01, 2006, 02:20
Since we have used up all the bandwidth on recipes, I would like to find out about HOODIA.
Being at least 100 lbs over weight and having major health problems as a result, I MUST loose weight or die.
I am inactive due to numbness/pain in my feet and legs due to swelling etc.
My question is this."
Has or does anyone on this forum use HOODIA and what has been your results.?
Any info good or bad will be greatly appreciated.

Da Nerd
April 01, 2006, 08:36
For those of you wondering, Hoodia Gordonii is a weight loss supplement

festus
April 01, 2006, 09:04
I have been wondering the same thing myself. It is a weed from the bushland of Africa. Why doesn't start growing the stuff and selling it? Maybe we could get a group buy? Put me down for a years supply.

raeldridge
April 01, 2006, 09:08
looks like it may have possibilities, but a quick google search showed me more hype than hope.

here's a resonably good overview:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/18/60minutes/main656458.shtml

so saying, I have no experience with it. looks like if you got it, you would have to deal with a *very* reputable source, as the number of fakes and counterfeits out there seems high.

good luck.

Charles Bobinis
April 01, 2006, 09:53
Switching back and forth between athletics and being chained to a desk, I've gained and lost 45 lbs at a time at various points in my life.

No matter what anyone tells you, you've got to change your metabolism; that means a change of habit and lifestyle. Simple but difficult. Getting started is the hardest part.

At one point, when I was working 80 plus hours a week, my cholesterol went up to 371, and my weight was near 250. Stress is a killer. For me, it took changing my relationship to my work, a disciplined diet, and exercise.

Having done programmed exercise in team sports most of my youth and adolescence, I was really sick of the same old, same old. I used to really love lifting weights, but a shoulder (nerve) injury forced me to give it up. A bum knee locked on me when jogging. With no miniscus, I had to give that up too.

I started swimming at a local highschool. That and some doctoring got my knee and shoulder to the point that I could do walking/hiking and pushups, again.

Getting bored with that, I got into the martial arts, and actually gave up all alcohol for 10 years while I trained in the martial arts. Your metabolism gets so high, your head gets so clear, the simple things in life, like a hike in the woods, become immensely enjoyable.

The stretching and aerobics of martial training really helped my shoulder and knee, which basically never bothered me.

Eventually, the impacts in the hands, elbows, feet and hips from sparing started to make me a little arthritic, so I retired from training, replacing it with walking, hiking, chopping wood, etc.

Since everybody in my world eats and drinks like Hobbits, I've found that I put on 15-20 lbs after hunting season, and start dropping it again, around this time of year. So, you've got to ultimately decide where health and fitness fit into your overall lifestyle.

I'll never see my "fighting weight" of 200 lbs again, unless I return to martial training. However, a weight of 215-220 lbs is okay on my frame, gives me a little surplus energy source whenever I get really sick, and doesn't interfere with the strenuous outdoor activites I love.

You can do it. Once the lbs start comming off, you'll get more and more into it. Its real encouraging when people start to notice and comment on your appearance, and you feel so much better. Good luck!

bykerhd
April 01, 2006, 10:11
I've found you can drop a lot of weight in a hurry by restricting your fat intake, downsizing portions and cutting out the booze. Actually I think if you remove or restrict almost any component of your diet, sugars or carbs, and eat less and don't drink alcohol you'll lose weight. The hard part is sustaining any weight loss. Americans grow up with a huge variety of consumables to choose from and we have adapted to that variety . Most of us start to suffer serious craving issues when a component is removed, whether we "need" it or not. That's when the going gets tough.
Good luck. I am on an active campaign myself to reduce my weight. Health driven, of course. Part of getting older and to keep on getting older.

ALBPM
April 01, 2006, 10:40
Timing is important too......

You can loose gradually by cutting out the fat and carbs later in the day. That is no carbs or fat after 4:30-5:00 pm. So, for dinner just have lean meat and green type vegetables - broccoli, spinach or salads with lowfat dressing. This makes sense because after dinner you're up for a few hours and then go to sleep. You never burn off the calories and they get stored as fat from eating big dinners.
Then you can gradually cut out some of the carbs/fat during the day for breakfast and lunch. Just eat enough bread, pasta, potato type foods to get through the day at work etc...

M.Rehme
April 01, 2006, 11:52
I have used Hoodia for about a month now, it is helping reduce the hunger feelings, which keeps me from snacking in the evenings.
It works for me, first thing I've tried that I really believe in, time will tell.
Mark

Da Nerd
April 01, 2006, 13:21
I was surprised to see a Doctor on Fox news actually say it works.
I dont drink, so stopping that wont help, I CAN"T do much exercise so increasing that is prob not possible.
I need something to cut the appetite.

kfranz
April 01, 2006, 22:54
Originally posted by Da Nerd
I was surprised to see a Doctor on Fox news actually say it works.
I dont drink, so stopping that wont help, I CAN"T do much exercise so increasing that is prob not possible.
I need something to cut the appetite.

Want to cut the appetite, eat MORE fat or protien. Fat and protien are filling. Foil packs of salmon are quite filling and pretty light on the calories.

Cut the carbs WAY down, and make those you do get from good sources like veggies.

155gunner
April 01, 2006, 23:11
Hoodia works great for me. I don't feel hungry throughout the day and have to force myself to eat. Make sure you drink enough water because Hoodia also affects the part of your brain that signals thirst. You can get dehydrated very easily. I try to eat 1500 calories a day and it is hard to get up to that amount with the Hoodia. Just make sure you get a reputable brand.

Da Nerd
April 01, 2006, 23:13
of the guys who are having good results, can you share a reliable source for this stuff?
THANKS

M.Rehme
April 02, 2006, 09:56
I use -- HoodiaMax 500mg, 4 capsules a couple times a day works for me.
Bought the first ones off e-bay, the bottle shows ( www.youngagain.com) on it.
Just checked it out, better prices there.
Mark

Falunga
April 03, 2006, 10:01
Have you looked into the Gastric By-Pass surgery?

My X-wife got it. She was 375lbs when she finally decided that 15 years of dieting never did anything but put her on the path to another weight gain cycle.

Yeah, she was a B*tch and we didn't get along but I do have to say she has lost all the weight and looks pretty good now. The doc's said if she didn't loose the weight she was gong to die. The skin on her lower legs was turning purple and DYING right on her from lack of blood circulation and she didn't even have Diabetis yet! Another couple of years and she would have been dead. Nothing else worked.

Yeah, it's a pretty drastic measure -but being 100lbs overweight and being there for years is a pretty drastic problem. Dieting works for less than 5% of the overweight population and even less for the grossly obese. You just CAN'T eat nothing and since you are overweight and have health problems you can't excercise. Most will never loose weight even if they cut calories down to 1200 a day. And at that level most morbidly obese people can't do much more than stay awake and sit on the couch they are so tired and weak from lack of calories.

It's like falling down a hole and not being able to crawl back out. A black hole. Too weak and fat to be able to scrath their way up and back to health.

The Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) is not cheating, it's not an "easy way out" but it might be the only viable option other than dying when there are no other solutions.

Give it a thought. It changed my X-wife's life and I'm happy for her -and I don't even <i>LIKE</i> her. But it was the right thing for her to do. If she'd stayed fat and died I'd be a much richer man. But I still think it was the better thing to do.

Jim :fal: FALunga

Bwana John
April 03, 2006, 10:36
OK Nerd,
I again recomend Dr. Bwana's Baja seaside cure.

Walk in the sand, swim in the ocean, relax in the sun, eat only what you have brought with you or what you caught (no store just around the corner, and you got to fix every meal).

I just got back from another 9 days and my back, knee, and hip all feel better, I lost weight, and Im pretty sure my BP and colesterol did good also.

Did you ever take Faust up on his very kind and generous offer?

Da Nerd
April 03, 2006, 11:13
I have thought of by=pass surgery and each time I talk myself into it, I see some 'news' on tv that says it if very dangerous to alot of patients.
I had a friend who had it years ago,,and it darn near killed him
Only as a last resort.

DABTL
April 03, 2006, 11:44
With your health problems you are probably not a good candidate for gastric bypass.

Eliminate fat as a start and get used to eating much less is probably the best solution.

Your doctor may be the best to recommend diet changes consistent with weight loss.

I assume you must be diabetic also. That complicates matters even further.

Falunga
April 04, 2006, 09:28
If you are thinking of the by-pass then talk to your doctor about it and get the real scoop.

Don't listen to what the "NEWS" says. They are full of sh*t all the time. If you listened to them about guns you'd be out voting to ban them.

See if there is a WLS support group in your area. Drop by and talk to other people who have had it or are planning on having it. These are really helpful because they give peer support. There will probably be long-time members in the group that still hang around years later and help out the newbies make the decision for or against. You will be able to tell which ones they are....No problem. Like midgets at an NBA players association meeting. Except for horizontal instead of vertical!

Jim :fal: FALunga