PDA

View Full Version : Gas piston binding! Not!

MonV
March 29, 2002, 08:36
I reported here a few days ago that I just completed a G1 on an R1A1 Imbel. Well I am still waiting for my locking shoulder, so I thought I would check everything again. Sure enough the gas piston binds. Took off the plasic handguards I got from Tapco and got out the receiver wrench. To my chagrin the piston does not bind anymore. Hmmm, put the handguards back on, the piston binds again. The ridges in the HG that conform to the gas tube were putting pressure on the tube causing the bind. Dremeled them off, no more binding. I am concerned however that this gas tube is too sensitive. Could my barrel be under/overtimed that the gas tube is easily pushed out of alignment or is that normal for a FAL. This is my first build. Thanks for looking.

HD99FXR3
March 29, 2002, 08:40
gas tube has some inherent slop, it's possible i suppose, just never tried it out to see. did you use 2 rod method to check alignment after assembely? this done to check for over-undertimed barrels.

FAL
March 29, 2002, 11:27
Forgive me, but what's the 2-rod method?

Alaska Aviator
March 29, 2002, 18:38
2 long straight rods - 1 through the handguard screw hole in gas block and one balanced on receiver rails - if rods line up barrel is timed correctly.

HTH

:D
AA

W.E.G.
March 29, 2002, 20:49
two-rods technique

http://users.erols.com/gary.jeter/two-rods1.jpg
http://users.erols.com/gary.jeter/two-rods2.jpg

FAL
March 29, 2002, 21:05
Thanks for the picture. I love this place. You guys are a wealth of information.

zoom
March 31, 2002, 03:15
Will this [laser] disqualify me for a WECSOG diploma?
You should be fine, as long as you draw blood in the process and/or have to do the process three or more times before you get it right. Drawing blood is most likely a given, and no offense, but my guess is you'll do it three or more times before you're happy with the result, so there shouldn't be any chance of getting WECSOG disqualified. As always, dropping the barrel or receiver on your foot earns extra credit. Extra credit is also given for objects knocked off of a shelf or table onto your foot as you're moving the barrel around to try to look through it. Poking yourself or a helper in the eye with the barrel is double-extra credit. Yes, I did that.z ;)