PDA

View Full Version : land purchase, Shepherd, TX, OK?

Kokling
March 31, 2006, 11:05
Theres a 29 acre east of Hwy 59 north of Cleveland full of hogs and timber pines. Problem is has a 75 yds wide easement of Tennesse pipeline across. Owner is selling it for $3000 an acre, is this too much? No electricity near property and just bare land, currently used as a hunting ground.

Some say its a great investment as H 59 will be made wider for a long hwy to Canada. Anyone lives here and whats the area like. Pretty quiet Ive been there. Road is dirt red and gets muddy with 2 inches of rain. Down the road are some poor folks . Neighbor told me the police busted some meth lab ops there before. Im concern of this as people taking meth are unpredictable subjects. Also one guy pass by who lives there said theres rednecks who are ex-cons. I havent bought the land but need advise. I like the place as its close to Humble and you know they dont make more lands no more esp with this growing immigration problem.

Again the land is a corner lot and bordered by timber company properties on the left and back and right is owned by a justice of the peace in Tarkington, Burl Thomas, if someone here knows him. The property is in Pelican Road.

Thanks

Right Side Up @ 1000 MPH
March 31, 2006, 11:20
I drive through there on the way to Lake Livingston to fish.

The pipeline right of way is a good thing if you like to hunt. Deer and hogs are easy prey when they cross.

I don't know if the price is reasonable or not. I know that land has gone way up in the last ten years.

Another thing to think about is that energy companies are leasing a lot of property down here looking for natural gas. If you could get on that program it would help defray the cost.

Kokling
March 31, 2006, 11:39
The land does not come with mineral rights owner said.

Right Side Up @ 1000 MPH
March 31, 2006, 11:44
I'd pass on it then.

AliYahu
March 31, 2006, 11:47
Sounds high to be honest. As for meth labs, they're all over the place, it isn't called Crack for White People for nothing.

Eli

Kokling
March 31, 2006, 11:58
How bad is meth lab ops in this area? I heard it s pretty common along areas of Hwy 59 esp deep inside on lonely less frequented areas.
Maybe just the right place to bring the STG for protection, LOL.
THe owner said he doesnt know theres meth ops as he seldom goes to the property. He lives in the Kemah area so i just happen to ask the passing people when I was there including the JOP himself. Maybe they were trying to discourage me from buying it huh. I told owner of land and he was really pissed why the JOB was telling me that and says he is only jealous. Good I havent made any commitment. i really like the land but my wife is concern of the safety down the road.

AliYahu
March 31, 2006, 12:15
Meth is everywhere in rural America.
I lived in Spring (suburban N Houston) for over a decade and there was a couple of meth labs set up in abandoned former farmhouses on undeveloped land in the area years ago. The problem hasn't gotten any better.
Motorheads hate lights and are generally paranoid, if you get the place a few motion lights will keep them away - they're like cockroaches.

Eli:fal:

Kokling
March 31, 2006, 12:23
Ali

Thats funny. These people do really look like cockroaches. Photophobes so to speak. They like to come out only during the night, right? \

Man, meth ops is everywhere now huh. Its so sad our society is getting no where.

March 31, 2006, 12:31
Question. Where abouts is Shepard? I was looking at land down in Ssoutheast Texas and it seems to running around ~$2k/acre for undeveloped land with "communitiy amenities" - water, electric, etc.

Kokling
March 31, 2006, 12:42
Thats great price with all util.
This one is east of Shepherd, really country.

spatin
March 31, 2006, 13:13
Originally posted by Kokling
The land does not come with mineral rights owner said.

Without mineral and timber rights, I think (my non-legal opinion only) surface rights only would not be worth $3k per acre on totally undeveloped land. You might want to check with an appraiser in the area (local banks could give you an appraisers name) who is familiar with comparable sales in the area.

But for me, I wouldn't buy it for that price for surface rights only. Maybe half of that.

The right of way is good. I've done a lot of hunting on rights of way in Louisiana and its a great place to set up a stand or two.

Sidney

Kokling
March 31, 2006, 19:25
It has pine trees and goes with the sale . it doesnt have mineral rights . No utilities close by like water , phone and electricity.

Fn/form
March 31, 2006, 19:38
What county is it in? I know San Jacinto Co. has a bad rep for corruption. I think Shepard is north of San Jac, tho... maybe in Polk Co.?

It's always a roll of the dice to move into areas not too far from dense civilization. The white trash can drive you nuts. Trespass, mischief, dumping, poaching, theft of resources (timber, etc.), harassment, disturbing your peace, etc. If I couldn't be damn sure of my neighbors, I'd move farther out. Preferably butted up next to a large piece of land. Fragments of a few-to-20 acres all together... well... from personal experience, it's not the best odds for an area where land and neighbors aren't exclusive.

Meth labs... I doubt the place is crawling with them, but they're out there.

-josh

Kokling
March 31, 2006, 19:53
Youre right, I see trash like beer cans , plastic bags and other things strewn along the road. They said thats expected in all unrestricted areas.
SO what about Sn Jacinto County? is it known for corrupt cops or constables ? Is this county considered on a poor scale compared to other?
Tell me something about living in the country, how to blend and what to expect from your neighbors and them expecting from you? All I know is the usual friendly wave when passing each other down the road. They said just be friendly and mind your own business. If you happen to see somebody in need of help then dont hesitate like those in the city .

Fn/form
April 02, 2006, 00:37
Youre right, I see trash like beer cans , plastic bags and other things strewn along the road. They said thats expected in all unrestricted areas.

Again, if it's not an exclusive community (by price or admission), then both riff-raff and good people will be there. My parents live near Conroe. They have very good people for immediate neighbors. Across the street, there have been several warrant services. There was a homicide about a quarter mile away. There was a meth lab found about a quarter mile away. My mother knows this because she works in the Montgomery Co. DA's office.

SO what about Sn Jacinto County? is it known for corrupt cops or constables ?

Every county govt. is rife with the good ol' boy influence. That county govt. has had more than its share of problems with corruption. It's not just the cops, it's the county govt as a whole. Don't get me wrong, there are some good people there. But it still has a bad reputation, more than "normal".

Is this county considered on a poor scale compared to other?

Haha. It's definately more redneck than Harris Co. But that's kind of apples to oranges...

Tell me something about living in the country, how to blend and what to expect from your neighbors and them expecting from you?

Again, like I said, it all depends on your neighbors. Be sure of your neighbors or do one of two things... leave the place alone or roll the dice.

My uncle has a place in San Jac Co., south of Lake Livingston. He has every problem I listed in an earlier post. Trespassing. Poaching. Clearcutting their adjacent forest, even when forbidden in their own purchase contract. Harassment, and no action taken by local LE/DA until someone who actually DOES their job was found. I can go on. There are a few amiable neighbors, but it only takes ONE set of crappy ones to make everyone miserable. And boy does he have a set of royal asses down the road. He uses the property for recreation, but they LIVE there.

All I know is the usual friendly wave when passing each other down the road. They said just be friendly and mind your own business. If you happen to see somebody in need of help then dont hesitate like those in the city .

I'm all for the friendly wave... but remember, it doesn't matter whether you're in the city or the country, there is always someone looking to take advantage of you. I'm not paranoid, I'm a peace officer and I see this every day. I'm leaning on experience from childhood to the present, in counties with lower population such as San Jac, Montgomery and Jasper Co. and counties with higher population such as Travis and Harris Co.

Yet it is also true that you'll never be 100% safe in any locale. But you can be informed. Perform due diligence.

There are a lot of things to consider when purchasing land. If you're going to live or play there, neighbors are one of the most important considerations. They can help you and you help them, or they can be a royal PITA.

-josh

Kokling
April 02, 2006, 09:49
Josh

Youre right , no matter what it boils down to knowing you have good neighbors.
Im very glad I have right now and I see them maintaiing their lawns and most of all their kids are very polite. I live in a subdivision .
I was thinking of getting some small tract at a cheap price in preparation for retirement . For now just using it for hunting and weekend fun. Im still not sure of getting this land .
As of the things we mentioned like meth and all the bad stuff, Im thanking you give me the info as they are expected in areas like this. I might consider looking for some small tract in Colorado or Lavaca counties. They said it has lots of oak trees and deer of course. But there are like $4 - 5 grand a n acre and be lucky to find one as its too rare to find bec land is so scarce nowadays unlike 10 years ago. More people are buying lands and Texas is full of it. More immigrants and retiress choosing our great Texas.
What do you think of Colorado and Lavaca?

Fn/form
April 02, 2006, 11:11
I don't know anything about Colorado or Lavaca counties. My preference would be something arable and away from everyone. For me, Splendora/Cold Spring/whatever are too close to the city.

-josh

DABTL
April 02, 2006, 11:36
I drove through the Cleveland area yesterday.

Frankly, it looked like it should have been the movie set for 'Deliverance.'

Permanent garage sale looking junk in people's yards for miles and abandoned houses were predominant. It also was as swampy as Louisiana.