PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions about Penguin quality and others...

Buckeye
March 28, 2002, 14:10
Hey guys, I'm brand new around here and would like to ask some questions. I've fallen I love with the Fal and just received 2 G-1 kits in the mail yesterday. I also have two Imbel receivers on backorder from FAC. So I've kinda jumped in with both feet.

What I need to know is .... how is the quality of the Penguin stock set/. Price is nice but I want quality. Also thinking about ordering a G1 '74 style break from Tapco. Do these work well to reduce muzzle flip? I'll probable just shoot with a "nekid" barrel, but for long shooting sessions a brake would be nice. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

March 28, 2002, 14:25
All I have is the cheaper nylon Penguin. These are very nice. Rough up with 320 grit and put a coat of paint on them and they look great. If you want to step up to the premium, get the correct shoulder profile. From what I hear, the Premiums are better than the original.

Only have naked barrels, recoil is no problem. I shoot 200 rounds at a time and it doesn't bother me a bit. The noise from a brake bothers me a lot more than recoil. YMMV.

Terick
March 28, 2002, 17:54
Cheap penguins ok, but you might find yourself with a really nice rifle when you get done, and thinking of upgrading the stock. Then again the thing is so cheap you can be creative w/the paint, replace it later, etc.
I don't think the brake is needed, they shoot good plain. (Didn't notice muzzle flip that much anyway) It will make more noise. That said I put one on mine as I had the threads there, plus a nice crown on the muzzle, and figured I'd be better off protecting what I had. I'd do whatever is easiest given the barrel you have and the tools at hand.
Other advice...load up on used mags and surplus ammo.

colt88
March 28, 2002, 18:09
Penguin for plastic type HandGuard,PistolGrip & stock or Ironwood hg.pg,& stock for the best looking wood, both count as U.S. parts. FAC has H/T/& Sear also U.S. parts & without MB thats all the U.S. parts you need. :D

Alaska Aviator
March 28, 2002, 18:19
Get the Penguin premium buttstock and the rest of his furniture - you won't be sorry - very high quality stuff!

:D
AA

Harlan at FAC
March 28, 2002, 23:30
We just got in Penguin's two types of complete stock sets, both of the same material, but one is called 'satin' and the other is blasted and called 'matte'. Both look good but I like the 'matte' appearance better. Of course, the price is higher on the 'matte' set.

These are black in color.

P/N PSTK-S 'satin' $64.95
P/N PSTK-M 'matte' $84.95

Each set consists of buttstock, buttpad, pistol grip, set of handguards, and Belgian style carry handle.