PDA

View Full Version : most accurate muzzle attachment?

RS39
March 28, 2002, 11:10
I am building some Imbel FALs with 21" bbls. One will get a 7.62 AK74 brake re-threaded for plate shoots (watching them just wobble from 60gr rounds is annoying) and general blasting fun. Which of the Belgian/STG/other types help/hurt for single shot accuracy? Do those STG types which are threaded near the muzzle end (make it look like a carbine)really help stabilize the thin bbl?
Opinions welcomed, but please send any flames direct/off board.

OMR_RDTandE
March 29, 2002, 09:45
None. Anything, other than a good crown on the end of the barrel, is going to affect the flight of the bullet. The heat from applying a threaded muzzle device, of any type, may affect accuracy. Any muzzle device may trade accuracy for the benefits of some other function, whether it be flash suppression, muzzle rise, or appearance. Any muzzle device, sleeved back over the barrel, while increasing barrel weight, will also change the barrel harmonics. This may, or may not, improve your accuracy. The only way to know for sure is to test both with and without. YMMV.

Dirtfarmer
March 29, 2002, 09:59
RS39,
In fact, it HAS been reported that the "Stoll" flash hider does act as a harmonic damper...(not unlike the "skirt" construction of some large buildings).
Our friends on the European side of the Atlantic say that they are getting sub minute of groups with their StGs more often than we.
I think the "Stoll" is the reason, and while not a cure-all. LIKELY accuracy enhancing.
Yes, I suppose to try is the answer, but as long as the "skirt" has some room (as it does originally), it should dampen vibrations.

Goodwill,
-Dirtfarmer

RS39
March 29, 2002, 10:38
So, are we talking about the attachment from RPB/FSE and DSA that is threaded so that the end of the attachment is also about the end of the bbl? Is there then a reliable gap between the rest of the attachment so that the non-threaded majority sleeve/skirt does not rattle on the bbl?
This still fits my plans of one session to test options, including no attachment (de-thread later if best).
Thanks

19kilo
March 29, 2002, 22:59
In my opinion if you do decide to add a muzzle thingy after threading it just put the smallest of "blind" pins in to make it leagle. Think of the bbl as a tuning fork. It has its own harmonics. If you take one end and heat it to red hot 1100 degrees I cannot imagine that helping the accuacy any. At worst it could actually screw up how your bbl vibrates and could lead to loss of accuracy.
Tim

skfullgun
March 29, 2002, 23:07
I've used the faux STG brake from FSE that makes the barrel look like a carbine. It is as accurate as any of my other FAL's, and on a good day I can get two inch groups with open sights at 100 yards. I didn't fire it prior to soldering the brake on, so I don't know how it affected accuracy. It does, however, look very, very nice. HTH.

Dirtfarmer
March 30, 2002, 00:32
I was speaking of the original "Stoll" Flash-hider(combination device), that would be illegal on a post-ban rifle,(as well as not fitting some FAL barrels(barrel diameter/contour).
The aftermarket are "look-alikes" only, I believe.

Goodwill,
-Dirtfarmer

RS39
March 30, 2002, 07:15
Thanks again. I will be using the slow-set, 600 deg tolerant JB Weld either way. It can cover threads and be ground smooth for a tidy threadless bbl with the original crown, or secure a muzzle attachment. Little skill, no heat, and permanent with good surface preparation/curing.

EMDII
March 30, 2002, 11:42
Originally posted by RS39:
<STRONG>Thanks again. I will be using the slow-set, 600 deg tolerant JB Weld either way. It can cover threads and be ground smooth for a tidy threadless bbl with the original crown, or secure a muzzle attachment. Little skill, no heat, and permanent with good surface preparation/curing.</STRONG>

600 degree JB weld is NOT considered permannet by the BATF.

Hi-temp (1100-1200 F) Silver solder, pin, or weld.