PDA

View Full Version : What's needed for Izzy wood on G1 kit?

JoeLad
March 27, 2002, 13:24
I just got an Izzy handguard and buttstock set for my G1 kit.

There's a gap between the wood and the receiver. Not really a gap, more like a recess, but it looks like there should be a piece that fits around the stock.

Also, are there any special parts needed to mount the handguards?

Thanks!

Firejunkie :D

Templator
March 27, 2002, 13:37
You need to get the "ferrule" for the buttstock. The Izzy stock uses the same ferrule as all of the other wood stocks that I've seen, including the ironwood stock sets. DSA and Gunthings has them. You'll also probably need to purchase the sling swivel for the stock. Izzy stocks are inletted for their own typs of swivel. DSA and Gunthings has the swivels also.

The handguards will attach to the rifle just like all of the others, but they use spacers which slide over the gas tube and fit into the radiused recesses which are cut into the interior of the handguards. These are nothing more than thick, flat washers. You'll need two of them. I bought some very nice ones from Gunplumber at Arizona Response Systems. They're made of aluminum and have a very nicely applied black anodized finish on them.

You'll like the Izzy stocks on your rifle. They're a bit on the heavy side, but they give a FAL a very solid feel.

19kilo
March 28, 2002, 23:50
The spacers are not 100% necessary. You can get away without them.
The BS uses either a true Izzy sling or if you can find an original R1 sling then you are set.
If your wood from the G1 did NOT have a metal feral (sleeve) around the front portion of the BS then you have a Turk (ersatz) BS. The true FN made G1, R1, and StG had the metal band arount the front edge.

JoeLad
March 29, 2002, 18:19
Originally posted by 19kilo:
<STRONG>
If your wood from the G1 did NOT have a metal feral (sleeve) around the front portion of the BS then you have a Turk (ersatz) BS.</STRONG>

My G1 kit came with a plastic buttstock.
Kind of scratched up, but not too bad.

I like the look of the Izzy handguards. :)

Firejunkie :D

SrBenelli
March 29, 2002, 20:04
Originally posted by 19kilo:
<STRONG>
If your wood from the G1 did NOT have a metal feral (sleeve) around the front portion of the BS then you have a Turk (ersatz) BS. The true FN made G1, R1, and StG had the metal band arount the front edge.</STRONG>
Not so fast, the early FN wood didn't have ferruls. (Type A IIRC???). The later wood stocks were ferrule-equipped.