PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on painting Nylon stock

Frederick
March 27, 2002, 11:31
Perhaps someone here can help me.

I have a US FAL Nylon stock set. I would like to paint it so it has the green color that one sees on the British L1A1 stocks from the 1970's. Does any one now what kind of paint I could use that would stick to nylon and give a good coverage/ service use? Also does anyone know what the exact color was that the British/Austrtalians used on the Greenish-(Olive?) colored plastic Commonwealth stocks? I do recall seeing some pictures of these back in books on the FAL in the 1980's, but can find no recent reference.

If anyone knows the above, do they also have any infor on prep you must do to the plastic inorder to get the paint to stick.

Thanks in advance to knowledgeable folks who might have the answer.

AR Thumper
March 27, 2002, 20:54
Frederick, I Recomend that you sand your stock to "rough" it up then if you can find some Green Bedliner& paint it with that, for final touch Hold the can about 18" from the stock and "spritz" it to obtain a rough texture. If you cant find Green Bedliner ( I know I cant)use black & then try a O D green flat Paint to cover the bedliner. The rough finish of the bedliner should hold the paint well.IMHO.Good luck .Thumper

FAL guy
March 28, 2002, 08:30
Krylon flat OD gives a very nice military green color. Do a search here as there are a few threads with photos available.

Mike

Snakeshot
March 28, 2002, 10:21
Brownells Aluma-Hyde II is practically indestructible once properly cured, will stick to nylon, is resistant to solvents an other chems and comes in OD. HTH.