PDA

View Full Version : Might Get a New Range in Salt Lake

larphred
March 25, 2006, 13:05
The old Holladay Gun Club is being attacked by urban sprawl and an encroaching gravel pit. It is not politically correct as well. Salt Lake City is becoming the poster boy for urban sprawl--houses on the hillsides as high as they can build. Our old club has been around since the '50s or maybe even the '40s but it is slowly phasing out. Members have been worried about what to do after it's gone.
A new plan is now being formulated to build a state of the art facility up one of the canyons (the one that goes to Park City). This range would have indoor pistol facilities, long range rifle ranges, as well as shotgun ranges. Since last week was the last week we could shoot trap at Holladay Gun Club, this proposal comes as very good news to most shooters in the valley.
Just hope that some liberal politicians don't get into the negotiations and screw things up.

Adventurer_96
March 26, 2006, 00:17
Originally posted by larphred
Since last week was the last week we could shoot trap at Holladay Gun Club, this proposal comes as very good news to most shooters in the valley.

WTF?!? I leave the state, and the shooting community falls apart? Just kidding, that's sad news, I'm guessing the next nearest range is up Parley's Canyon, right?

I really hope that they do recognize the need for a shooting range, I know that the western side of Phoenix has had one range closed and another significantly restricted, so I hope that SLC shooters are able to get this proposal through.

Private or public?

MiniZ
March 26, 2006, 10:13
Wow! I left the ranks of Holladay many years ago due to disagreements with the board. However, I always wanted the range to succeed and be available for shooters.

I hope the new range works out and becomes a reality. From what I have read it is going to be a good one.

larphred
March 26, 2006, 13:32
Adventurer, yeah, the closest is Henrickson range up Parleys. The new one is proposed to be up Parleys, but on the north side (I think) where the current sheriffs range is--Buff, help me here. It will be government owned, but run by the current Holladay staff. BTW, Holladay has gone private. Only members can shoot there, but we can bring up to 7 guests. Fees have gone up too, but there's now an indoor toilet now. Whoopee!

BUFF
April 07, 2006, 16:34
I asked about the proposed public range on the Sheriff's Office range's site. Here is what I found out:

There will be a million dollars or so coming from the ZAP tax (Zoos, Arts and Parks) funds. This will be used to build a 15 station indoor range, expand the rifle range (currently 100 yards and very rough), build trap, skeet and clays ranges and improve the road. It will be open to the public on Thursday nights and weekends.

The range is a few miles up Parley's Canyon. It is on the north side where the cement plant used to be and the gravel pit is now. You access it by coming down (west) I-80 and getting off below the Mount Aire (Ranch) exit, then following the frontage road east along the freeway. You can't see any of the facility from the road.

Don't know when construction will start.