PDA

View Full Version : Firing Pin/Hammer Spring Problem? Any Advice?

LongGun
March 27, 2002, 09:03
Guys,

Action of the hammer is clean and sharp. However after hammer strikes firing pin, the pin is not fully forward. Normal? Maybe the pin does get fully depressed and then the pin spring pushes hammer back too quickly to notice. Will have first shoot this weekend out in the sticks and would like to hear "BOOM" and avoid the "Click". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. - Newly built DSA refinished G-1

HD99FXR3
March 27, 2002, 09:46
your firing pin can only move the amount of free space given to it by the firing pin retaining pin and the groove/slot on firing pin that retaining pin goes through. if travel of firing pin was not limited in some way the f-pin would puncture the primer and thats a bad thing.

LongGun
March 27, 2002, 10:28
Thanks HD99FXR3

Pete2
March 27, 2002, 13:47
Originally posted by LongGun:
<STRONG>Guys,

Action of the hammer is clean and sharp. However after hammer strikes firing pin, the pin is not fully forward. Normal? Maybe the pin does get fully depressed and then the pin spring pushes hammer back too quickly to notice. Will have first shoot this weekend out in the sticks and would like to hear "BOOM" and avoid the "Click". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. - Newly built DSA refinished G-1</STRONG>

Are you saying that the firing pin does not protrude when the hammer is down/forward?

That is normal, it prevents the weapon from slam firing if the hammer rides the bolt home.

The hammer hits the firing pin and inertia drives it forward to hit the primer and then the firing pin spring pushes the firing pin back so it doesn't protrude.

LongGun
March 28, 2002, 09:48
Pete2,

Are you saying that the firing pin does not protrude when the hammer is down/forward?

Nope. I'm saying that once hammer has fallen onto back of the bolt, the pin is not FULLY extended. The pin can still be pushed forward by applying finger pressure to the rear of the hammer. This may be totally normal, probably is. Again, I just want to avoid the dreaded "Click" my first time out.

EMDII
March 28, 2002, 09:58
QUITE normal.

FP only protrudes during the stroke, when the hammer energy transfers to the FP and it moves fully forward to strike the primer. It normally protrudes about 1.5 mm fully, but only immediately following the stroke. After striking the primer, it retracts a bit.

The rebound is designed this way. The hammer must not push the FP forward whie at rest, only during the stroke.

LongGun
March 29, 2002, 08:00
Thanks EMDII, that's the answer I was looking/hoping for. Off to the range tommorrow! :D