PDA

View Full Version : Any L.E. types familiar with the Dallas PD combat course of fire?

Scott S
March 24, 2006, 15:47
Reason I ask is curiosity. Dad is retired DPD and went yesterday to qualify for his "honorably retired" carry permit. Two years ago, after the federal law was enacted, the course of fire for DPD retirees was essentially the same as the Texas CHL course of fire (that course isn't exactly what one would call demanding). He expected the same thing this go 'round. One thing that he did learn before he went to qualify was that he couldn't use his trusty Python--had to use one of the DPD approved semi-autos (SIG, Glock, Beretta, Browning, and perhaps Walther?). He couldn't locate one of the aforementioned arms in the correct caliber, so he bought a brand-spanking new Beretta 9mm. Unfortunately, he had no chance to fire the gun before he went to qualify.

When he arrived at the range at Mountain Creek Lake, he learned than instead of the Texas CHL-type course of fire he shot two years ago he'd be firing the DPD combat pistol course instead. To compound matters, he didn't have a holster, belt, nor enough mags. Fortunately, there was an officer at the range who was kind enough to loan dad a duty belt, holster, mag carrier, and an extra mag.

Dad shot a 98.4 (out of 100). Sounds pretty good to me, particularly for a venerable guy who turns 70 in a couple years. However, he's kinda modest about that sorta thing and didn't say much, so I thought I'd post here to see if any LE types can comment on that score.

Deltaten
March 24, 2006, 20:14
Hey Scott:

I'm not a "LE type", but I have shot a few Police combat courses in my time.
The score yer dad posted would make some professional shooters weep with joy:D I know I would! ;)

Outstandng performance there Guy. Can I come take lessons?

awesome,
Paul

K.O.A.M.
March 25, 2006, 19:03
Florida just switched from a 48 to a 40 round course. The 40 round course is called the "retarded monkey" course by our firearms instructors, because in their opinion, a retarded monkey could pass it. Most difficult shots are at 15 yards on a standard silhouette. Florida switched so that the retired guys could qualify.

mparrish
March 25, 2006, 22:19
Washington is in a state of flux about the provisions and requirements for HR 218 and retired carry. Hence, no course has been certified so no HR certifications. Silly. So I just tell retirees to join the rest of the crowd and get the CWP.

As for your father, well done! I have people in my own agency that can barely pass a fairly simple, dumbed down qualification.