PDA

View Full Version : First barreling job...not so good??

Corkscrew
March 26, 2002, 13:53
Got my Casey receiver wrench yesterday and proceeded to barrel my FAL last night. This rifle is just going to be a beater, good thing. First, the barreling didn't go well. I clamped the flats in my BFV (Colombian 6") and cranked the receiver on after applying some copper anti seize on the threads. Barrel will not handtime on the receiver as it is extremely tight but with the receiver wrench it went right on. Barrel shoulder contacted receiver at about 9:30. Probably not good but I figured maybe just needs a bit of tork. I pulled it pretty hard and was not able to get it close to TDC, maybe 11:00. Then the barrel slipped in the BFV and trashed the flats. I dressed up the flats up with a file and being fairly disgusted, quit and had a beer. So, what advice will you give me? Do I need to relieve the barrel shoulder to get the barrel to time to about 10:30-11:00? What do you think about the fact that the barrel will not screw on by hand, could that be a problem. I have tried dressing up the threads with a thread file but that was no help. Has any one ever made a barrel vise at home that actually works? Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Sean
March 26, 2002, 15:03
Hello,

If I were you, I'd trim the shoulder of the barrel until it hand times correctly. The barrel timing to 9:30 is too far out. With the barrel being that far out, you run the risk of "tweaking" the receiver and barrel. I bought Casey Elliott's barrel vise and receiver wrench and it makes the job of barreling soooooooo much easier. If you plan on building more than 1 FAL, these tools will pay for themselves in effort, time, and paying a pro to fix any mistakes or damage you make.

As for the barrel not screwing into the receiver originally, that's a tougher one. What type of receiver and barrel are you using? Hopefully, it's not an Israeli barrel and metric receiver. Or, you may have needed to chase the threads before to clean them up. If it was a barrel from a previously made rifle, maybe the threads were "crunched" (don't know the technical term where the receiver threads and barrel threads "become one") for the previous receiver. HTH.

Respectfully,

Sean

milljocky
March 26, 2002, 15:04
what kind of kit and reciever are you using? Is one inch and the other metric? (I don't know if they would even force together??)I haven't actually built one yet, waiting on the reciever from FAC, but here's how you can deal w/ the barrel not timming-cruffler link (http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01-assembly.html).
Good luck. :)

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: milljocky ]

Corkscrew
March 26, 2002, 15:10
Sean,
Barrel and receiver are Imbel.

orca
March 26, 2002, 18:14
I'd do away with the AS compound....don't file on the threads unless there is some obvious localized problem. Did you try pr-timing without the goopum? Clean it up, lightly oil it and see where the starting point is. orca

RainFade
March 26, 2002, 19:50
I recently helped my brother build an imbel on imbel, and did one myself both barrels looked perfect once the stub was off, neither receiver was visably off but on his the receiver would only turn on a few turns by hand, with the wrench and a guestimated 10 ft/lb's it screwed on the rest of the way, hand timing approx 10:00 Not sure if it was the barrel or the receiver but it didn't hose up the build and it functioned perfectly w/o any tinkering :-)
The receiver was one of the FAC century imported ones (non gear logo)
Corkscrew at the risk of sounding like a broken record buy or build a barrel vise it makes life SOOOO much easier, I will NEVER barrel any weapon w/o one again.

Sumoj275
March 27, 2002, 00:21
If the kit or the receiver has been parked clean the threads. Sometimes the park builds up in the threads and makes it difficult.

Second on relieving the brl to proper time. It does make a difference.

Hope all else goes well.

MonV
March 27, 2002, 11:24
Corkscrew, first you must reieve the barrel shoulder till it times to 11:00. Then use the "rosin" on your barrel flats so it does not slip. I had the same problem with my G1 barrel slipping on my filed to fit 27mm wrench. Tried using the receiver wrench and breaker bar method and the barrel flats also slipped from the vise. I gave up and was in the process of ordering a barrel vise when someone on this forum said something about using barrel rosin. I ordered the rosin and when it came, gave the barrel flats a dab, did the same to the 27mm wrench and went at it. Noooooo problemo! I am now waiting for my locking shoulder and then range test time. Try the rosin first! Hope this helps. :D

Derby FALs
March 27, 2002, 12:56
Here (http://www.derbyfals.com/Shop/image6.htm) is the setup I use. Works very well. Makes sure the barrel times to 11:00 and isn't grabbing at the breech end.

Corkscrew
March 27, 2002, 15:45
DerbyFALs,

I have wondered about binding at the breech end. It looks like the breech is contacting the internals when the barrel is timed at 11:00. 11:00 is all I can get out of the barrel with considerable tork. What is the fix for binding in the breech end and also, where do you get your rosin?

Pa. Patriot
May 29, 2002, 13:42
Rosin can be had at Dick's Sporting goods or similar. Look in the baseball or bowling areas. Comes in little bags.
Can also be found at craft and art supplies. You want the powdered variety.

Check my other FAL re-build post (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39676) for ideas on homemade barrel vise

ratas calientes
May 29, 2002, 14:26
My one remaining of two IMBEL barrels will not screw into either of two IMBEL receivers by hand alone. They would, however, thread into both Entreprise "file to fit" receivers that I had - actually, those threads were a little on the loose side.

I suspect that they will "hand time" with some low-torque effort using a barrel vise and receiver wrench. Plus I DO believe in using anti-sieze on threads. I use moly-disulfide grease. Anything similar will always help during the install, and any subsequent removal if ever needed.

Ratas