PDA

View Full Version : Leapin' Leapers!

mountain man
March 26, 2002, 12:52
OK, ok, I know I should have bought a DSA mount, but my wife had just found out about the L1A1 I bought, and she figured that meant she could go and spend $500 or so on clothes, so the family budget is seriously dented. Anyway, a cheapo leapers scope and mount was les than $50 on e-bay, so I bought one. Used the ol' WECSOG laser pointer boresight to align it, and the first shot was right where it was supposed to be. The second was about 6 inches away (this is at 35 yards), and the next three were somewhere within a foot of the first.Hmm- 34 MOA accuracy? :eek: So, I pulled the quick release scope off and shot with iron sights, got down to less than an inch group. Since I have more time than money, and I like to make gadgets, I built a set of clamping plates to hopefully tighten up the scope mount.leaper 1 (http://www.coloradoradio.com/engineer/leaperlock1.jpg)
leaper 2 (http://www.coloradoradio.com/engineer/leaperlock2.jpg)
I'll go shoot it today and see how it works. Might be butt ugly, but if it works....
Mtn Man

Pete2
March 26, 2002, 13:24
You paid $50 for that piece of $#!+ ??!!??

The Tapco mount only costs $40 http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=MNT2403&back=yes&dept=8&last=
and it's a heavy duty mount that is designed to clamp on.

Heck even the WAC mount only costs $40.

Those POS leapers mounts normally retail for like $17

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: Pete2 ]

kotengu
March 26, 2002, 13:45
I'm confused - the TAPCO mount IS the Leapers mount. What is that thing you've got there????????

hsp223
March 26, 2002, 14:48
I'm really confused. Mountain man it looks like you mounted the leapers mount to the top cover? Is this true? If so very interesting and ingeneous if it works. The way the mount was meant to be mounted is directly on the receiver rails. Sometimes it takes a little fooling around to get the inner rail to align in the groove but once there it is solid.
Pete2-I don't know what leapers mount you are refering to that costs 17.00 but the one designed for the FAL is the one from Tapco that you list for 40.00. It is a fine mount.

milljocky
March 26, 2002, 15:19
Those cheap chinese rivits on other chinese mounts I've used (AK&SKS) always come loose. Maybe, IF that's the problem, you could get some better rivits from a hardware store and replace them, or if both your parts are steel, you could braze or silver solder??

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: milljocky ]

milljocky
March 26, 2002, 15:30
I tried reseating the chinese rivits on the SKS mount to no avail, they kept losening up no matter what I tried, so it went in -
"the box of illconcieved purchases".
I don't know what I could've been thinking with the AK mount(in "the box" now too), but maybe one of these days I'll try to fix 'em (got a burnzomatic MAP gas setup yesterday).

Pete2
March 26, 2002, 15:40
Originally posted by hsp223:
<STRONG>I'm really confused. Mountain man it looks like you mounted the leapers mount to the top cover? Is this true? If so very interesting and ingeneous if it works. The way the mount was meant to be mounted is directly on the receiver rails. Sometimes it takes a little fooling around to get the inner rail to align in the groove but once there it is solid.
Pete2-I don't know what leapers mount you are refering to that costs 17.00 but the one designed for the FAL is the one from Tapco that you list for 40.00. It is a fine mount.</STRONG>

Ok I didn't know the heavy duty mount that Tapco sells is made by Leapers (sorry).

The one he got off ebay is ALSO a Leapers mount that is just a slide on sheet metal dust cover with a weaver rail riveted on top. I've seen several places selling these for less than $20. I think Centerfire Systems sells them for under $15.

My scope mount looks similar to the one Tapco is selling only I bought it some time ago from FAC and I don't think it was made by Leapers but my memory aint what it used ta be.

withergyld
March 26, 2002, 18:33
Leapers makes two types. Tapco sells the better one.

leapers catalog (http://www.leapers.com/MountCatalog.htm)

you will have to click on the FAL mount on the left hand side of the web page. For some reason the link won't take you directly to the FAL mounts.

mountain man
March 26, 2002, 18:52
This was $46 plus shipping for the mount AND the scope. It's an aluminum weaver rail extrusion riveted to a steel dust cover. I built the clamp on side rails out of aluminum flat stock. I shot it this afternoon and it actually works pretty well. The scope now holds groups as tight as I can hold the rifle. I plan to shoot it prone this weekend at 100 yards and see how it holds up, groupwise. My eyes are not good enough for open sights, unless I get my eyeglass prescription updated :D .The only problem is that the inside of the dust cover is painted with thick goopy paint, and the bolt carrier hangs up sometimes. I plan to strip the paint out and see if that helps. It's been lots of fun playing with this, but if I seriously wanted accuracy out of a scope, I'd use a mount that fastens to the back of the barrel and cantilevers back over the dust cover. Dremel tool is still whirring!
Mtn Man

hsp223
March 27, 2002, 15:44
Pete2 and MountainMan, I was not aware that there were two mounts made by Leapers. I have seen steel weaver rails welded to top covers before but they were to heavy for my taste, I guess the aluminum riveted to the top cover would be lighter.