PDA

View Full Version : Should I drill Gas Port?

symtex
March 26, 2002, 08:03
I have several kits im putting together for the first time. Should I drill out the gas port prior to assembly? I have heard alot about issues with gas timing and people having to drill the gas port. These guns will be completely redone. Sandblasted, parked and then assembled. If so what size drill bit? This is my first build of a FAL and just need some advise. Putting theses toys together tonight.

sledgehammer
March 26, 2002, 08:29
I would wait until you get the rifles together and then test fire them. Normally you shouldn't have to drill the port out. The barrels usually come from the factory with the port measuring about .092-.096. If you have to drill port start out at .098 and work up test firing before you step up to the next size. A shortened barrel will usually require a slightly larger gas port.

Slugger
March 26, 2002, 18:51
Someone was advising using a hand reamer instead of drilling. Your milage may vary.

I've had mixed results. Had no problem drilling the first 3 or 4 rifles then on the last one . . . the bit snapped off and left the end of the bit in the port! Tried drilling it out and drifting it out with no luck. Just spent $35 today having a shop use an EDM to get the broken shput out of the port.

I'll be trying the hand reamer dance from now on. Just be careful and take it SLOOOOWW.

blackbird
March 26, 2002, 19:36
Symtex, I'm with sledge. Test fire them first. My shorty 16.5" STG without a muzzle device worked fine with the factory size port and is right in the middle of the adjustment range. (Pictures were in the gallery)

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!!!

19kilo
March 26, 2002, 22:39
It depends on the kit you are assembling. I am making a 17" Izzy/L1A1/Meteric kit with inch gas block. When I got the kit it was disassembled from the bbl. I just drilled the bbl and gas block to .113 because it is immpossible to drill out an Inch front sight/bbl with assembled. I did not want to try knocking off the front sight just to enlarge the port on my shortened bbl.
If you are making a meteric kit then you should have no prob. later *if you need to* drilling out the gas hole.
Tim

eodinert
March 26, 2002, 22:57
I had an R1 kit with a new open-eared argy barrel. Busted a bit off trying to go to .118 when it wouldn't cycle.

Couldn't get the busted part out, so I took it to the range and shot it (completely assembled). Bit came out, paid AZEX to finish the gas port mods (they're local). He used a drill, but if HE screwed it up, he'd fix it.

That reamer sounds pretty good to me.

-Doug

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: eodinert ]