PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu Gave it any thaught?

BiggerHammer24
March 17, 2006, 02:49
I think I have figerd out how were going to get it. Have any of you gave it a thaught ? I figer the birds are going to give it to the Ape's and then it will move to the people and were in it deep. I seen Fox news and the facter had some gal on and was talking of how bad it would be she said they would corintene citys and how would you get your food and your meds if you needed them? They have been talking about getting three months of supplys and water I would like to hear how you fellas are getting ready and if you think this can or can't happen but remember the black plag or thipoid mary all those fokes didn't think they would die eather. I read the other day that if it hit the world 50% of the people or better would not live to tell about it. The two worst parts of what I found out about is that one you have no simptoms of it for the first five days but you are spreding it with out knowing it you have no way of knowing so everyone you meet you infect and the second thing is haveing it and what it does to you from what I was told it is a VERY bad way to die it tares up your lungs. I am hopeing it don't happen but the first time you here of it going from person to person or if you here of a lot of apes dieing I think you might want to get ready. What have you fellas got to say? BiggerHammer:sad:

Wodan
March 17, 2006, 06:41
I'm following it in the news and a couple of science journals. It's just a point of academic interest for me at this moment in time; as I have no vested financial interest in any poultry operations overseas (or here in the U.S. for that matter) and the virus has yet to acquire the adaptations that would allow it to easily transmit via human to human contact.

All the media doom and gloom about it does, of course, make a valid excuse to sit down and prep my weapons for the coming waves of Mutant Bird Flu Zombie Bikers(tm). Those damned dirty MBFZBs won't be getting my beer and wimmenz! :shades:

Da Nerd
March 17, 2006, 07:23
Bird flu has killed a hell-of-a lot of BIRDS.
Until it finds a way to mutate to humans, and if you do not have a bunch of dirty infected chickens living under your house, I think you are pretty safe.

IF a pandemic breaks out, then I will start to worry and buy elderberries...

LAFAL
March 17, 2006, 07:39
Already bought the dried whole elderberries and made a batch of tincture. It tastes like vodka (:biggrin: ) but seems to ward off colds. I started to get a cold last month and took 2 doses of the stuff. No symptoms other than the sniffles and sore throat the first day. A few hours after the 2nd dose the throat was fine and sniffles gone. No fever. I gave a bottle to each sibling and my mom for their families JIC. But think on this- the VA I work at has a DRACONIAN bird flu policy for patients AND employees who come down with it. A whole building has been set aside as a ward- no one gets out if you go in. Scary.

Da Nerd
March 17, 2006, 09:30
http://www.pandemicflu.gov/

BiggerHammer24
March 17, 2006, 13:42
I think you fellas mist my point first the birds live with the apes and the apes are the next step down the latter from us hense the ape get it from the birds and then transforms into the passing kind and some human in our infamenet wisdom looks the ape over and gets the flu and passed it on to someone else and then that person goes for five days giveing it to all he or she contacts. I half to wonder what it would be like to look around you for miles and see no one alive. Besides where would you get your ammo from then let alone your food it might be a bit hard. It also just gave me another thaught How many other types of critters would it get you eat more than chicken don't you? BiggerHammer:?

owlcreekok
March 17, 2006, 15:03
:cry: Now my frikkin head hurts. :redface:

Would you summitches leave it the hell alone !!!??? Birds flu. Big frikkin deal. Theys got feathers and holler bones made for the bizness of bein able to flu when the mood strikes.

STFU. ALL of ya, jes STFU

Jeezoman !

:sad:

owlcreekok
March 17, 2006, 15:07
and another damn thing. If you'se guys DON'T STFU, I am gonna flu over your ugly mugs when you are snoring tonight and drop some good old owlshit in yer piehole !

:devil:

Ever wonder why your mouth tastes like shit some mornings worse than others? Better STFU !

goldenspurholderx2
March 17, 2006, 15:56
I was worried about it more when I was overseas, Iraq's non-secure border and all. I can't back it up but I thought I read someplace it made the jump to humans and 50% of the infected were fatalities. I don't have enough money to stock pile everything so I just do my slow and steady every month to improve my situation, like the army teaches always work to improve your fighting position. Getting my vegtable garden ready and have the seadlings almost ready to plant when the weather gets right. Teaching my from the city wife the finer points of canning this year as an excuse to start stock piling home canned food stuffs. I can't control everything but I'm doing my best to tip the odds in my favor.

ce
March 17, 2006, 16:34
Let me tell ya 'bout the Birds and the Apes,
And the flowers and the grapes,
And the birds in the trees,
And the women on their knees,
And the breeze in her hair,
And the Londonderry air,
And the moon up above,
And a thing called luh-huh-huh-huv!

When I look into your big brown eyes,
It's so very plain to see,
That it's time you learned about flu-atio,
Starting from A to Z!

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Ladies and Gentlemen!

goldenspurholderx2
March 17, 2006, 16:35
:rofl:

Lon Moer
March 17, 2006, 16:48
Bird flew? Imagine that!:rofl:

kychas
March 17, 2006, 22:33
www.fluwikie.com
lot of medical types
kychas

instr8
March 17, 2006, 23:09
Well I don't know about all the transmutations and all, but i'll tell you one thing. I'm sure gonna stay away from all them damn apes just in case.

BiggerHammer24
March 17, 2006, 23:10
You know my dad said it took all kinds to make the world go around and you fellas proved his point. Thank you for all your great replys. oh and my grammer is just fine it is my typeing in the cold black of the night with one eye thats hard, BiggerHammer;)

Wodan
March 18, 2006, 03:13
Uhh, as far as your point about apes go, you probably don't need to worry about that. Influenza typically doesn't acquire the adaptations necessary to jump a species barrier by infecting and adapting itself to a host that's been genetically separate for hundreds of thousands or millions of years.

I can't recall offhand where that's happened in nature.

As a matter of fact, that's eerily similar to the steps that are required to create an attenuated virus for vaccine use.

The influenza virus typically acquires new mutations through genetic shift and drift. I've also heard more in recent years about recombination playing a larger role, but I haven't been following any of the research.

Genetic shift occurs when two different influenza strains 'swap' gene sequences. Genetic drift is the accumulation of mutations over the period of generations. Recombination is the re-assortment of previously acquired mutations into novel combinations, resulting in a gene sequence not found in the parent organisms.

Besides, the problem isn't the jumping the species barrier and infecting humans. H5N1's been able to do that since 1997. The problem is the potential for H5N1 becoming easily transmissible via human to human contact. Currently it just spreads via avian to human contact (Well, mostly. There are a few cases that seem to suggest having very close contact with an infected person can result in a spread of the infection, despite H5N1's lack of affinity for human to human transmission).

If the virus adapted itself to transmitting ape to ape... well that really wouldn't be all that much of a problem for us. As long as you don't have a pet monkey.

So, here's how a new strain of influenza can adapt itself to transmission among a new species.

1. It acquires the adaptations necessary from contact with a different strain of influenza, one that's adapted to human to human transmission.

As a point of academic interest, H5N1 has been picking up gene sequences from avian and swine flu strains it's encountered in the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

2. Some random mutations in the gene sequence of a new 'generation' of H5N1 allow it to more easily infect and transmit between humans.

With the spread of H5N1, this becomes more of a threat. The individual chance for a virus strain found in a single host to mutate in just the right way is exceptionally low. But when you've got millions of infected avian hosts, especially when those hosts share a common environment with another species (swine, horses, humans) then you're going to be betting against the odds if you say an opportunistic strain won't find out how to tap into this new demographic.

FortunateSon
March 18, 2006, 10:51
LAFAL, please ellaborate on the special ward at your VA. I was in for an appointment last week and there were signs everywhere saying if you had a cold, flu, sniffles, sore throat, or any symptoms to tell the receptionist so they could give you a MASK!! I think the main concern is that someone who contracts the H5N1 strain through contact with birds and who ALSO has a strain of flu virus that is passable human to human could serve as a host for the the H5N1 virus to swap genetic material and acquire the ability to pass person to person. Scientists and governments are taking the threat very seriously.

Hades
March 18, 2006, 11:03
Originally posted by goldenspurholderx2
I was worried about it more when I was overseas, Iraq's non-secure border and all. I can't back it up but I thought I read someplace it made the jump to humans and 50% of the infected were fatalities.
Yeap, about 160-170 people out of the say 1.5 billion in Asia that live with a couple of chicken under their house or in their living room cought the disease and some 80 died. These people live among their freakin chicken. Literally! Now if you have a chicken farm and birdflu is on it's way in your immediate area, now that would be a good reason to take some precautions. You can also get it from eating chicken. Unless you cook your chicken thouroughly. Something you should always do anyways. A samonella infection afterall is not something you want to catch.
Also the birdflu which is currently coming rather close to the EU (and has even penetrated some EU countries) is being spread by migrating birds. I know asian birds migrate to some parts of the middle east and northern africa. I know some european birds can catch it in the middle east and northern africa while migrating. I don't know about ANY european birds migrating to North or South America though. Nor do I know about any asian birds crossing the pacific.

Windustsearch
March 18, 2006, 16:37
Did we really evolve from apes?

No, not really. Look in the mirror and you will see an ape staring back at you.

...Especially you owl.:rofl:

Eclipse
March 18, 2006, 21:05
Not sure if this is a joke post or not with all the spelling errors.

For those that might be interested, here in SD the state held a conference last week on pandemic planning. Comments from HHS Secretary Leavitt and CDC Director Gerberding were very interesting.

http://www.state.sd.us/doh/flu/pandemic/index.asp
Click on Archived Materials link to watch 2 hour webcast or view PPT slides

South Dakota Pandemic Influenza Plan - March 2006
http://www.state.sd.us/doh/flu/Documents/SDpandemicPlan03-06.pdf

William Davidson
March 18, 2006, 21:13
Recently an expert on one of the news channels predicted that it will arrive in the US within one year via migratory birds. It looks like my waterfowl hunting this fall will not be taking place. Not worth the risk of handling a diseased bird. WD

Donut
March 19, 2006, 00:12
Get Your hands off me you Damn Dirty APE !!!!

Windustsearch
March 19, 2006, 01:46
:rofl:

Temp
March 19, 2006, 02:21
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152563

BUFF
March 19, 2006, 03:23
I am following Mikie Leavitt's advice and stockpiling canned tuna and dried milk under my bed.

I still need a recipe for all of that plastic and duct tape I bought before...

THAT'S IT!!!! I SHOULDA BOUGHT DUCK TAPE, NOT DUCT TAPE!!!!

owlcreekok
March 19, 2006, 06:20
Me and some of you other tailholes might have descended from apes, but I have seen a few buxom lasses that I challenge ANYONE to say THEY descended from a monkey.

:shades:

bykerhd
March 20, 2006, 21:35
I heard on the car radio tonight that there are now TWO distinct strains of bird flu. The scientists are now in a real quandary trying to figure out which one is the one most likely to evolve into the version which might cause the next pandemic in humans. Or, maybe they both will ? Nobody knows.

ephv
March 21, 2006, 14:27
I got lost on this thread. Did some one say that apes flew? Maybe that is how those coconuts got to England. Swallows are too small but apes are big enough.

9thmoon
March 21, 2006, 23:25
Originally posted by BiggerHammer24
They have been talking about getting three months of supplys and water

Uh... dude... you should be doing that anyway!

Earthquakes, floods, martial law, who knows what calamity will pop up next? There's no good reason not to have basic emergency supplies on hand in case of... well, emergency!

owlcreekok
March 22, 2006, 00:15
Originally posted by ephv
I got lost on this thread. Did some one say that apes flew? Maybe that is how those coconuts got to England. Swallows are too small but apes are big enough.

Owls fly.

They don't make #2 very often. But it counts when they do. :smile:

Da Nerd
March 22, 2006, 00:17
owls are so full of shit they gag it up

BiggerHammer24
March 23, 2006, 19:42
Ok I give up Mods please lock this up and endit BiggerHammer

TRANSAM 79
March 23, 2006, 21:02
I dont know if humans here will get it,but chicken is on sale this weekend and Im stocking the freezer.

Da Nerd
March 25, 2006, 09:21
You got a freezer? Lucky duck.!:D

trucksurfer
March 25, 2006, 12:08
Well I saw this thread and decided to see what sort of media hype you had all succumb to, and it looks like several of you have swallowed the bulk of what they are spewing hook, line, and sinker. First of all, take off your foil beanies and gas masks, unlock the door, and go outside. All is clear! Secondly let me tell you all that you have a greater chance of being killed in a motor vehicle accident that you do from Avian Influenza (AI as this is how people who know about and understand the disease refer to it).
I cannot speak officially for the USDA, but some of you may know that this is my employer. I work at a federal laboratory in Iowa (when you hear about BSE {mad cow disease for those idiots out there} being confirmed by the USDA at a lab in Ames, IA, I know and have worked with the pathologists who are doing this work) I can speak of my personal experiences, and of things that are public knowledge. First of all, for those of you worried, there have already BEEN outbreaks of AI in the United States! OMG!!! Yes, it's true! Those of you in Virginia may know of this. The strain in question though, H5N1, is not worth the worry that the media would have you believe. I have worked with birds infected with this strain and others. I am still here! I am alive and well! H5N1 may have the ability to jump to human populations, but the people who should be worried are the same people that would succumb to virulent strains of other influenza viruses, elderly, immunosuppressed, etc.
I would not worry about it, it's not worth your time to start stockpiling shit and gathering the family into the bomb shelter.
Here's my "lone gunman" theory, ever notice how it's one "threat" after another? Doesn't it make you think that maybe it's all part of a goverment plot to scare you into submission? The more frightened you are, the more willing you will be to let "Big Brother" protect you. I'd be more worried about THAT than AI.

Quote I saw today that is fitting to the AI scare:
"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength." Corrie Ten Boom

trucksurfer
March 25, 2006, 12:10
Originally posted by Da Nerd
You got a freezer? Lucky duck.!:D

Yeah he's got a freezer, he lives in NH, its called his porch!

TRANSAM 79
March 25, 2006, 12:53
Youve got that right.Almost the end of march and still cold(this sucks).