PDA

View Full Version : ARMS or DSA scope mount

alphabeta121
March 16, 2006, 00:36
So I'd like to mount my bushnell 4200 Elite on my Imbel... Should I go with the DSA mount or the ARMS?

ab121

Attilla
March 16, 2006, 13:23
I have the DSA. It is very sturdy.....but the mounting screws and inner clamping plates are a PIA when removing for cleaning.

If the ARMS mount is reputed to be sturdy and hold zero without the screws, that is an attractive feature.

fastprofessor
March 16, 2006, 15:37
Originally posted by Attilla
the ARMS mount is reputed to be sturdy and hold zero without the screws, that is an attractive feature.

I like the ARMS mount. Mine holds zero when I take it off, so cleaning is easy and so is swapping the old cover back on for iron sight shooting.

alphabeta121
March 16, 2006, 22:26
how does the arms mount work w/o screws.

fastprofessor
March 17, 2006, 09:02
Originally posted by alphabeta121
how does the arms mount work w/o screws.

It is simply a new top cover that replaces the old cover. IIRC DSA's mount fits over the old top cover and uses screws to provide the tension to hold it in place.

Wade Kimmell
March 17, 2006, 17:35
I had a DSA and bought an ARMS. The DSA is too tall, too fat, and does not have return to zero capability.

The DSA mount also precludes the use of one of the FAL's best features, its open action design. Just by pulling the top cover you have full access to the action. With the DSA mount you lose this.

BTW, the DSA will mar up your receiver.

dadman
March 17, 2006, 20:55
A third option is http://stores.grenadierprecision.com/StoreFront.bok .

fred g
March 18, 2006, 11:25
I have 2 ARMS mount/covers a Para and a Standard. They hold zero, will never ever rattle or come loose and are much cleaner looking and easier to mount and dismount than the screw on (!?) DSA.

FG

Attilla
March 18, 2006, 19:59
So where is the best place to buy the ARMS mount ?

the gman
March 18, 2006, 22:33
Forget the ARMS mount & buy a GP mount. I have both & the GP mount is MUCH better & cheaper to boot.

In fact, I have a DSA, several Leatherwood mounts, a Tapco, several ARMS, several WAC QD Pro's & an unidentifible type similar to the DSA/Tapco.

IMHO, the GP is the best beyond compare. It's the ONLY model that allows you to use it for both Para & standard rifles from the factory. Buy one, you'll never regret it. :angel: :fal:

Attilla
March 24, 2006, 09:58
GP website lists it for $124 :eek:

Is there a better place ?

BB
March 25, 2006, 10:05
You HAVE a GP mount? Then you are lucky. I've been waiting for mine for almost 10 months. Since GP was "merged" with Leitner-Wise I seriously doubt any more of those will be made. And even if they did I don't think I'll be buying one now.

johnha55
April 21, 2006, 13:46
the gman or dadman, any other way to get in touch with grenadier precision?Ive left voice mails and emails, no one has gotten back to me. thanks.

HawaiiFALer
April 25, 2006, 16:47
Originally posted by johnha55
the gman or dadman, any other way to get in touch with grenadier precision?Ive left voice mails and emails, no one has gotten back to me. thanks.
It is just so sad that many of these good products "die on the vine". Grenadier Precision did produce a small number. The rest of the market is untapped. They have waiting buyers if they don't wait too long. After a while, the waiting market, or those who would come to need one later on, will turn skeptical. Would you send in money, only to wait 2 years for delivery? :?

dadman
April 25, 2006, 18:21
See Group Buy (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1550660#post1550660) , self explanitory.

rmplstlskn
April 25, 2006, 22:03
My saga...

GP unavailable... nothing on the horizon...

After much reading... I decided to try the ARMS #3 "original" over the DSA Extreme Mount due to the ARMS being removable and the #3 being on sale for $99. Also liked the THINNER profile of the ARMS #3 over the wider DSA mount.

Ordered a Larue LT100 (4xDOS) mount for my ACOG TA11-D. This will mount on my DSA SA-58 Carbine.

I'll see how I like it... I may end up selling both and getting the DSA Extreme Mount with ACOG mount machined in when they become available...

Worst case, I sell the ARMS, Larue and the ACOG and get a Meopta or Nightforce...

I'll post pics when it is all here...

Rmpl :biggrin:

rmplstlskn
April 26, 2006, 21:36
My saga.... UPDATED

Installed the ARMS #3 "Original" tonight. When they say it FITS TIGHT, they mean it! So tight I had to use a rubber mallet to drive it home which SHAVED OFF a thin shaving from the ARMS steel rail like a steel rat tail off a lathe...

I then had a problem with it not closing all the way as the release lever was not in the same place (farther back) as it would be with the stock DSA cover. I then had to smack the ARMS steel back plate (rivited on) a few times with a small hammer to seat the plate a 1000th of so more forward (was hitting rear sight block). It now closes, everything lines up, and the release lever "almost" clicks back to were it used to be. Looks good to me...

The ARMS #3 mount does look nice! I popped my Aimpoint with ARMS mount off my M4 and put it as far forward as possible. It has a RISER BLOCK for co-witnessing with iron sights on my M4 so the sight was about 1/2" higher than it could have been. Still, it was fast and worked nicely... but I'm really looking forward to the ACOG on there.

As an interesting note... if I could have bolted my ACOG directly to the ARMS mount I would have been able to use my iron sights through the sight hole that goes through the ACOG base. That would have been SWEET! I thought about drilling holes for it and inletting them to allow the mounting screws to clear bolt carrier but there wasn't enough SUPPORT on the sides of the ACOG. That would have put too much stress on the two bolts and would not be tough enough for real bumps and knocks the field dishes out.

I don't think the market would be big enough for PRI (makes the mount under license for ARMS) to modify the Picatinny rail by raising it higher with a groove in the middle the shape of an ACOG base (AR15 carry handle profile) so that there would be enough "beef" to support the top-heavy ACOG... Too bad!

Now waiting for the Larue mount for the ACOG to come in...

Rmpl
:D

EMSflyer
April 27, 2006, 13:36
You must post some pics (please) after you get the ACOG mounted and a range report as well.

I'm stealing the Aimpoint off my AR again and putting it on my FAL. I'm using the ARMS also. I'll be alternating between the Aimpoint and a Nikon 4x as my needs change.

I really enjoy using the Aimpoint on the FAL. However, some day I hope to be able to afford an ACOG too.

Thanks,

Flyer

reddot223
April 28, 2006, 10:35
i have been following this topic. i have a ta11c mounted on the arms mount...i love it...true you have to take the whole thing off to get to your bolt to clean it...i'm scared to take that thingy out of the back of the arms mount because....well i don't know why...any how it goes back to zero for me when i do it...i was considering the dsa mount but they were out of stock for the acog one and i was impatient..i did have a arms quick release acog mount but upon measuring with my eyes:rolleyes: it seemed the trijicon mount was a little lower. i still needed a cheek rest...not wanting something to ugly i found this one at brownells for $25.00 . now it is perfect..very nice to shoot and with this barrel from GPG it is honestly a sub moa rifle with standard LC ammo...check in the pictures section for a cool decal i got for the back of my truck

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/reddot223/fal.jpg

rmplstlskn
April 28, 2006, 16:58
A cheekrest is definetly a "nice have" item... I'll be looking for one...

I put pics of my FAL with ARMS #3 and ACOG in a new thread in this forum...

Rmpl :fal: