PDA

View Full Version : Gun parts guy new barrel test

moses
February 23, 2006, 05:20
OK I wanted to do a test that would be real world but also show what these barrels can really do accuracy wise.

All shots were with standard iron sights

I used a STG kit with the new GPG barrel

All shots were with a stoll flashider on the barrel.

All shots were from 100 yds

All shots were off an ammo can with a small sand bag on top of the ammo can with the rifle resting on the STG handgaurds just in front of the receiver and the buttstock resting on my shoulder.

The first 10 shots I cleaned between every shot and the next 10 I cleaned every 2 shots to break the barrel in.

After each 3 shot group I waited a few minutes to let the barrel cool back down.

The first three shot group shot with Port BF 80 ammo

I loaded one round in the mag and fired with the bolt locking back after each shot

moses
February 23, 2006, 05:23
2nd 3 shot group shot with Port BF 80 ammo

I loaded one round in the mag and fired with the bolt locking back after each shot

WOW!

moses
February 23, 2006, 05:25
3rd 3 shot group shot with Port BF 80 ammo

WOW AGAIN!

moses
February 23, 2006, 05:26
This is the first 3 groups in relation to each other

moses
February 23, 2006, 05:31
This is a five shot group shot after breaking in the barrel no cleaning in between shots with 6 rds in the mag so on the 5th shot the bolt would not lock back giving the action a different movement than the first 4 shots.
This was FN 77 ammo

moses
February 23, 2006, 05:33
This was my last group as it was starting to get dark
It was shot with Port again and 6 shots with about a second between shots

moses
February 23, 2006, 05:44
These tests showed me that these barrels are very suitable to be used on a sniper type FAL set up or a battle rifle type FAL as it performed extremely well loading single shot and also above average shooting from a loaded mag.

I have to give it a highly recommended stamp of approval!

:bow:

adam762
February 23, 2006, 07:14
Thanks Moses.

Any pics of the rifle? Was it one of yours, or a customer's build?

moses
February 23, 2006, 14:58
My rifle, I'll try and get some pics up!

BUFF
February 23, 2006, 16:37
Not only does that appear to be a very good barrel, Moses appears to be a highly competent marksman!

Thanks for the information, Moses!

Vorpal_weapon
February 23, 2006, 17:40
Excellent report Moses - Thanks!
:cool:

Dunk RD
February 23, 2006, 18:06
Thanks moses
Very nice review. I'll have to try one with a match trigger and scope. From what you show they should shoot under the inch mark.

Dunk RD

owlcreekok
February 23, 2006, 18:23
FINE!

Go ahead, keep it up. My kids need extra funds for school trips and projects this spring. No problem, I just work a little more "overtime" and cover it. Sure sure, get on the Files and find out what I have suspected all along. I am addicted. The pushers do not care about me, my health, my sleepless nights, my kid's needs.

They even know full well I have time to order up a barrel in time for the SE TX Fal Fool's build party coming up on April Fool's day.

Discompassionate, I say. Real cads.

:redface:

goldenspurholderx2
February 23, 2006, 19:15
You're starting to make me think I wasted my time buying a Shilen barrel blank and having it machined.:sad:

owlcreekok
February 23, 2006, 19:45
Originally posted by goldenspurholderx2
You're starting to make me think I wasted my time buying a Shilen barrel blank and having it machined.:sad:

Nawwww man. Get yer geeters together and buy one of these. Then give us a comparison report. THAT report might be the makins fer a crow sammich.

:wink:

1MOR
February 23, 2006, 20:01
Positive recommendations from two of the great FAL smiths. No waiting for the next shipment from the importer. Provides better than battle rifle accuracy. Comes in rifle and para lengths. Ordering from James is always a pleasure. And, And............................................its a US part!! So what are we waiting for? By the time I get around to ordering a couple, James might be punching out uppers. :bow: :bow:

adam762
February 23, 2006, 20:11
Yeah, I had thought of uppers.

But I didn't think about it for long, I'll tell you that.

The next run will be 21" inch pattern barrels. Stay tuned...

goldenspurholderx2
February 24, 2006, 14:27
Originally posted by owlcreekok

Nawwww man. Get yer geeters together and buy one of these. Then give us a comparison report. THAT report might be the makins fer a crow sammich.

:wink:

Unfortunatley all my "wifey credit" is going to be used up for a while after this build.

It looks like these barrels are turning out to be damn fine products. Adam762, you should be proud of turning these out.

:beer:

FortunateSon
February 24, 2006, 14:39
This requires further testing. Quality optics and match grade ammo. 1inch and less with iron sights and surplus. Wow is right.

jrkoller
February 24, 2006, 15:09
How about a Barrel in 7MM-08
Joe

robmac
February 24, 2006, 17:28
Originally posted by BUFF
Not only does that appear to be a very good barrel, Moses appears to be a highly competent marksman!

Thanks for the information, Moses!

WRONG - Moses does not appear to be a highly competenet marksman - HE IS! You should have seen him clean the tactical stage at last year's RBGC match. Thankfuly, I understand he is not coming this year!

DYNOMIKE
February 24, 2006, 18:40
Originally posted by robmac

WRONG - Moses does not appear to be a highly competenet marksman - HE IS! You should have seen him clean the tactical stage at last year's RBGC match. Thankfuly, I understand he is not coming this year!

Au contraire my Good man..
I believe that the one of whom you speek "WILL INDEED" be present for the Festivities.
Prolly bringin his newly barreled shootin Iron as well?:eek:

robmac
February 24, 2006, 19:11
Crap!! We don't need no stinkin' Moses!!

Mike - How about you - coming this year?

DYNOMIKE
February 24, 2006, 20:05
Originally posted by robmac
Crap!! We don't need no stinkin' Moses!!

Mike - How about you - coming this year?

HELL YA BABY!!
Powerstroken it up from SUNNY SOUTH FLORIDA..
Gettin excited about it too.
Gonna see if'n I can hit anything, and in general be my DEBBIL Boy self..:devil: :biggrin:

tiblow
February 25, 2006, 12:46
WOW is right!!! :eek: :smile:

James-GPG and Adam 7.62, you should be proud of this...VERY NICE!! :bow:

Good work Moses too!!! ;)
t

Pistolwiz
February 25, 2006, 17:57
Don't be too afraid. Every participant gets a GPG gift certificate for $10.00. Everybodies a winner! :biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
February 25, 2006, 21:53
Originally posted by Gunpartsguy
Don't be too afraid. Every participant gets a GPG gift certificate for $10.00. Everybodies a winner! :biggrin:

Damn James...
How cool is that??
Mighty nice of ya..:whiskey: :wink:

moses
February 26, 2006, 21:00
Yes with a little fanagaling I shall be able to attend the match and hopefully defend my title!

Look forward to seeing everybody.

I just need to think about what I'm gonna use that $10 GPG coupon on.

Thanks James! :D

stimpsonjcat
February 26, 2006, 21:42
Hope you tested it HOT!

The action section has right at 80 required shots. 17 of those are steel plates, so figure a few misses into that and you are looking at 5 magazines minimum.

Those of you with steel handguards have been warned, bring your chicken mitt.

moses
February 27, 2006, 00:49
I will be using the same rifle I used last year (if it ain't broke don't fix it)

The GPG barrel I tested was a 21" barrel

tac-40
February 28, 2006, 11:08
Looks to me like we might have to do a little NASCAR type inspection of Moses' rifle. I'll be bringing the barrel vise and wrenches so they can be removed and thoroughly inspected to make sure they are of the FN pattern before the Match.:biggrin: :bow:

Aifwikir
February 28, 2006, 12:42
tac-40

Looks to me like we might have to do a little NASCAR type inspection of Moses' rifle. I'll be bringing the barrel vise and wrenches so they can be removed and thoroughly inspected to make sure they are of the FN pattern before the Match.

Tac,, Your cruel!!

My order is in with GPG. 1 - 21" barrel for the Aif. Where's the build party this year??

:D
Aif

owlcreekok
February 28, 2006, 12:52
Where's the build party this year??

About 300-400 miles SSW of you, 30 days hence.

moses
February 28, 2006, 18:51
Suprisingly upon inspection you'll find a slightly pitted STG barrel I cut, crowned and rethreaded to 18"
Not the prettiest bore you'll ever see but man will that baby shoot!

I call her "the ultimate!"

She's got all the features that I think are the best of FAL's

moses
February 28, 2006, 18:56
After I wear her out this weekend with the torture tactical match that stimpy has planned I guess I'll have to replace the barrel with a new GPG barrel!