PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting 7mm Mauser bolt apart

DWS
October 02, 2001, 10:43
I working on a project for a friend. It's a German made 7mm Chilean "Sporterized" Mauser. Absolutely beautiful gun!!! It has a Buelher [sp?] safety that will not work. I got the safety lever out of back the bolt.I'm pretty sure it's a jammed up safety mech. inside the bolt or the firing pin is broken, But I can't figure out how to take the bolt apart. It has me stumped.I don't want to take a chance breaking anything. Anybody worked on one before? I'd like to get it fixed for the old timer before hunting season starts. Thanks, Dave

corleone000
October 02, 2001, 16:08
I'll make it as simple as I can. Put the bolt back into the rifle and flip the safety "ON". Now remove the bolt. HOlding the bolt body (not the handle) with the rear facing up - use your thumb to press in the plunger on the front side of the bolt shroud. This will let you unscrew the bolt shroud (and safety and firing pin) from the bolt body. Once this is apart, you can put the mainbody of the bolt somewhere safe (where it won't fall). I take it that on your Sporty Mauser the stock is alittle different than the original, so I'm going to tell you what is next - but you need to figure out how. On the original rifle, there was a hole thru the buttstock that was a great help in taking apart the firing pin/safety. You'll probably have to find something else. Be careful if you choose to bare the firing pin down on a pillow or rag or something. What you need to do is push the safety/bolt shroud down towards the front of the firing pin. This will take the spring pressure off of the pin's rear and allow you to turn the cocking piece. Once you turn it, it comes off and the whole thing comes apart. There are SPRINGS that can propel pieces across the room at rapid rates, so be careful and think first. MAybe you should get a book or something. Or you can check out the guys at this C&R forum... they're a real friendly bunch. http://pub42.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

PS - I'm absolve myself of any responsibility involving you disassembling your mauser bolt - proceed at your own risk.

DWS
October 03, 2001, 09:31
Corleone000, Thank you for the tips. When I looked at the rifle, the safety lever will not move at all. It is pointed down toward the bottom of the bolt,I believe it is off. I went out to his backyard "range" and loaded one round in the mag. I then chambered it. Pulling the trigger, I was hoping for a good shove. Instead it sounded like a dry-fire. I waited 30 seconds (incase of primer mis-fire) to remove the round. Primer was not struck. So I don't know if it's something in the safety or broken firing pin.

DWS
October 03, 2001, 09:33
Corleone000, Thank you for the tips. When I looked at the rifle, the safety lever will not move at all. It is pointed down toward the bottom of the bolt,I believe it is off. I went out to his backyard "range" and loaded one round in the mag. I then chambered it. Pulling the trigger, I was hoping for a good shove. Instead it sounded like a dry-fire. I waited 30 seconds (incase of primer mis-fire) to remove the round. Primer was not struck. So I don't know if it's something in the safety or broken firing pin.

DWS
October 03, 2001, 09:37
If I do send parts flying or cause myself bodily harm, I wouldn't hold anyone responsible for MY mistake, I'm not like most lawyers and politicians. LOL! ;)

corleone000
October 03, 2001, 10:35
If you are getting the same sound as a dry-fire, the safety isn't engaged. If pulling the trigger with a hot round doesn't go "boom" - the problem isn't the safety. Sometimes the "bubbas" that do hack-sporterizing jobs have attempted to cleaned-up the firing pins by filing them to nice round tips - I guess not thinking about the consequences of actually shortening the length of the pin itself. You're a brave soul to just throw a round in and pull the trigger. :-) If the safety won't engage at all - that's not good - but it's fixable. Sometime this happens when the cocking piece and various other bolt pieces are from different rifles, put together in a hodge-podge way as with most of the non-collector C&R stuff. If you can't get the safety to engage, you can't get the bolt apart the "regular" way. You'll need to remove the bolt from the gun - put the lower tab of the cocking piece into your lined vice (so as not to scar the metal) and pull the bolt away from the cocking piece and hold it in this cocked position. While holding, engage the safety. Now you can remove the bolt from the vice and disassemble with the previous posted instructions. When you get it apart, look at the tip of the firing pin to see if it looks like it's been modified. You can do a search at the C&R forum for firing pin questions to read more about this. You'll also want to either bevel the edge of the cocking piece (where the safety engages) or bevel the edge of the safety that engages the cocking piece. I know ou're probably aware of this, but it's really not safe to have a rifle with a non-functioning safety. (I wonder who did the hack-sporterizing job and if it was ever used after being "fixed up"?) Be careful and think before you do - you're only given 2 eyes and 2 hands - no spares. Feel free to drop me an email if you have more questions..
Good luck and welcome to the joys of working with C&R rifles.. (the fun part is fixing ;-)
Adam
adamc@bww.com

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: corleone000 ]

MG-70
October 04, 2001, 23:14
The gun's probably a Steyr 1912, real nice, beautiful metalwork...the one I was stupid enough to sell was a short rifle rechambered by the Chileans to .308...straight bolt, G98 style handguard (covering behind the sight), bright, bright, bright...gorgeous.

corleone000, nice job with the instructions! I remember my first time...had to run to Border's to verify steps ;)

DWS, there's a tiny ramp on the safety pivoting area (that looks like a 3/4 circle) that pushes the cocking piece further out (back) when the safety is moved to the middle position (used for unloading, cleaning, etc.)...make sure that little ramp is angled enough to allow the safety to funtion properly (meaning, swing from left all the way to the right, locked position). To push down on the firing pin, use a bench block (Gunplumber recommends a hockey puck with holes and it's worked for me).

Good luck, wear goggles.

Regards,
MG-70

DWS
October 05, 2001, 09:28
Thanks guys! I'll try all this Saturday night(Providing I don't get called in for work) and I'll let you know what's up.