PDA

View Full Version : Questions that have probably been answered before

WildBillGW
October 02, 2001, 05:52
Here goes another novice question...

I've seen several different posts related to this subject but I think its only led to more confusion on my part.

I have a rifle which I obtained from Wholesale G&A out of NY. It was advertized as an R1A1 sporter. It comes with an Imbel receiver and US made plastic furniture. I think it is made of parts from metric sets but I'm just not sure enough to go ordering the parts I really want to spruce up its appearence. I really love the wood parts that I have seen on the various web sites and on the images on FAL files.

My specific questions are as follows;

1/- Is there an easy way to tell which forearm assy. should be ordered (inch vs. metric), i.e. some way of measuring the rear collet that the fore arm seats into by the barrel nut? Hint* the rifle I have has plastic forearms which resemble the STG metal guards with bipod cuts which I have seen in photos.

2/- The pictures I have seen of lower receivers seem to have two different types;
a)One has a straight cut running top to bottom and these types all seem to have a wood stock that goes into a ferrule.
b)The second seems to have a little piece that joggles aft on the bottom side. These stocks seem to seat right up to the rear of the lower.
Is this the difference between inch and metric on the lower? Is there something about the angle and diameter of the recoil spring tube I have to be concerned with?

3/- My rifle's pistol grip is the hollow plastic type (which could contain a cleaning kit I guess) with a nut that the combo tool looks like would unscrew. My question is, the wood grip assy.'s I have seen (and the schematics) seem to have a metal strap assy that is part of the trigger guard, and a little wood cover piece which would cover this after installation of the grip, are these identifiable for inch or metric?
What would I look for to order the correct wooden PG?

4/- Has anyone ordered or had any experience with the walnut PG's which look like the PSG1 sniper rifle type? I see them advertised in the SEP 24th shotgun news at FAC for 45.00$

5/- Lastly, what's the panic about putting refinished wood (which can be made to look new with enough TLC) or new ironwood designs furniture on the rifle? Wouldn't this just be considered "parts replacement" due to maintenance/repair? Has anyone on the Board ever heard of or experienced a LEO confiscating or questioning them about the content of their rifle? I shoot at an indoor range near Seattle/Everett WA and I know a bunch of cops shoot there too but they usually just make a comment about how loud it is or "nice gun".

Any response to these questions will be appreciated.
:)

kotengu
October 02, 2001, 07:29
1. It really doesn't matter. As long as you don't have a bipod, hanguards fit the same on both inch and metric (just not Izzy)

2. Easiest way to tell is to look at the pistol grip (see #3)

3. You've got a metric pistol grip - the wood one's you describe sound like inch grips. Basically, if the nut's on the bottom, inside the grip it's a metric - if the screw's inside the lower receiver, and it goes down into the top of the grip it's an inch.

4. No, but Dan @VOW makes the best grips around, and was selling Ironwood seconds for good prices (he may be out by now)

5.The biggest problem here is the US parts requirement. As long as you put US made furniture on your rifle you'll be fine, if not better off. I know the law is silly and it seems like a big waste of money (especially when you're building one), but best case you're rifle will be confiscated until you can prove it's not illegal, and worst case you'll be prosecuted heavily - call it "insurance" to keep your gun :D

BTW - get out of that indoor range and ring a gong at a few hundred yards and you'll never go back ;)

Welcome to FAL's!

EMDII
October 02, 2001, 07:32
Originally posted by WildBillGW:
Here goes another novice question...

I have a rifle which I obtained from Wholesale G&A out of NY. It was advertized as an R1A1 sporter.
A typical combination of, usually, a metric parts donor kit and a post-ban receiver

It comes with an Imbel receiver and US made plastic furniture. I think it is made of parts from metric sets but I'm just not sure enough to go ordering the parts I really want to spruce up its appearence. I really love the wood parts that I have seen on the various web sites and on the images on FAL files.

My specific questions are as follows;

1/- Is there an easy way to tell which forearm assy. should be ordered (inch vs. metric), i.e. some way of measuring the rear collet that the fore arm seats into by the barrel nut? Hint* the rifle I have has plastic forearms which resemble the STG metal guards with bipod cuts which I have seen in photos.
The 'collets' (HG ring) are the same size for all except the HB. The length is the same for Inch & Metric. Your 'hint' only tells us it has metric handguards!
:p

2/- The pictures I have seen of lower receivers seem to have two different types;
a)One has a straight cut running top to bottom and these types all seem to have a wood stock that goes into a ferrule.
b)The second seems to have a little piece that joggles aft on the bottom side. These stocks seem to seat right up to the rear of the lower.
Is this the difference between inch and metric on the lower? Is there something about the angle and diameter of the recoil spring tube I have to be concerned with?
IF you have a flat-backed lower, you most likely have a Metric. If your lower has the short extension aft behind the PG, it is an Inch lower.

Buttstocks are NOT interchangeable.

3/- My rifle's pistol grip is the hollow plastic type (which could contain a cleaning kit I guess) with a nut that the combo tool looks like would unscrew. My question is, the wood grip assy's I have seen (and the schematics) seem to have a metal strap assy that is part of the trigger guard, and a little wood cover piece which would cover this after installation of the grip, are these identifiable for inch or metric?
What would I look for to order the correct wooden PG?
The 'strapped' PG is usually an Inch-pattern PG (there are notable exceptions- the T-48), and will not normally fit your lower. The solid wood PG, typical of the G-1 rifles recently arrived, is a Metric Model A. These will fit ANY metric. They are NOT the same as the Australian wood PGs, which fit the Inch only.

4/- Has anyone ordered or had any experience with the walnut PG's which look like the PSG1 sniper rifle type? I see them advertised in the SEP 24th shotgun news at FAC for 45.00$
Talk to weaponArts (see MarketPlace) for a nice PSG-1 ambi-grip. Dan at VOW (see MarketPlace) also makes a PSG-1 grip.

5/- Lastly, what's the panic about putting refinished wood (which can be made to look new with enough TLC) or new ironwood designs furniture on the rifle? Wouldn't this just be considered "parts replacement" due to maintenance/repair?
Replacement w/ a US-made part makes you compliant w/ the so-called Assault Weapons ban. Compliance is easy. Non-compliance requires you to lie to someone, all the time. Your choice

It'd be really dumb to, at a minimum, hire some damn lawyer to get you off the hook of a weapons charge. Others will advise you 'who cares'. So be it. Do as you wish, but don't cry wolf, just go do it and accept the consequences of your behavior.

Compliance is cheap.

Has anyone on the Board ever heard of or experienced a LEO confiscating or questioning them about the content of their rifle?
Yes. And when I explained in detail how I could ascertain, and offered to show them, what made a US-made part, they said, 'cool' and decided something like 'dude knows his stuff, let's get on with enjoying the shooting.'

They MIGHT ask.

You can be 'cool' w/ post-ban stuff. See GunPlumber's new (FSE-built) faux Belgian short FH/GL/BL combination device. Indistinguishable at 2 meters from an original.

I shoot at an indoor range near Seattle/Everett WA and I know a bunch of cops shoot there too but they usually just make a comment about how loud it is or "nice gun".
[Many LEO are uninformed. Take your chances.[/B]

Any response to these questions will be appreciated.
:)

The easiest way to fully identify your rifle is to list ALL the markings on the lower (also called a TMH), the barrel, and any other writing/stamping found.

The IMBEL is a Type 3 Metric-pattern receiver. See the FAQ for threads w/ pics of what differentiates Type 1 from 2 from 3, Inch, Israeli, and Indian (1A) patterns.

[ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

WildBillGW
October 12, 2001, 06:30
Thanks for the excellent advise Ted and kotengu! I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. I've been away from my computer for a few days. Any way that really helps me get a better idea of what will work and won't.
Thanks again and thanks to all who make this site a reality! :D