PDA

View Full Version : First Time Build-Your Advise Please

johsp1
October 02, 2001, 01:37
OK, I'm brand new to this board, but I've put together a number of other pistols and rifles and I've got the bug to try an FAL. I plan to use a Williams lightweight receiver (the only reason I haven't done this before is because I always thought the FAL's were a little heavy) and chop the barrel to about 17". I'm torn between one of Dan's Sporting Goods grade II's or a STG kit from M&A Parts. Anybody think one is easier than the other to get together or is it a crap shoot? By the way, I think I can handle the barrelling, but does anybody do headspacing near St. Louis? I'd like to make sure I get that part right, so I'll probably have a pro do that.
By the way, this is a nice board...and if you call me Francis---I'll kill ya!

ricochet
October 02, 2001, 01:52
Hello Fran***, (what do ya want to be called?)
The only real differences on building the kits you mentioned is the bipod that is on the STG kits. Basically everything else is similar. I'm sure either one will go together for you the same.
If you really want to do this right, check out the Gunplumber workbook, or buy his video. A small price to pay for the info you get. I believe his site is
www.arizonaresponsesystems.com (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com)
You can do it, the question is, can you just build one?? :rolleyes:

Dave1
October 02, 2001, 08:52
If you have the jing, go with the STG kit, they are much better fit and finish wise than the Imbel kits. Stg's use metal handguards and Imbel kits are plastic also the stocks are different between the two, Stg's have a straighter comb and Imbels are the "humpback" style. Headspacing really isn't that bad once you look into it.
You might just want to skip it all together, 'cause, once your done you'll want another, and another and so on and so on. Ask me how I know :D
Dave

idsubgun
October 02, 2001, 09:32
Originally posted by Francis:
<STRONG>...and if you call me Francis---I'll kill ya!</STRONG>

Hey, Whateveryournameis, if you go to the top of the page and click on "my profile", you can go in and change the name that appears on your posts. If you keep the name the way it is, I guarentee you will be called Francis.

Back to business, I've bought two StG58 kits from M&A Parts and they have been absolutly beautiful, I also bought a Grade 3 kit from Dan's Sporting Goods and it, too, was worth the money. As was said before, if you can spare the jingle, pop for the Stg58, you don't know how long they will be around.
I think FUBAR is down in Southern Illinois, you might ask him to headspace your weapon if you don't want to do it.

See ya, Francis.......couldn't resist. ;)

HTH

artifacts
October 02, 2001, 10:01
Near St.Louis? That covers a pretty big area.
Gunplumber's video is worth every penny, and it covers about everything the first time builder needs to know, except how to pay for everything you are going to want. Go for it, you can do it. artifacts

mp
October 02, 2001, 10:20
Franci

I live by the second creed--"You touch my stuff, I'll kill ya."

Stripes--great movie!!

artifacts
October 02, 2001, 10:58
O.K. St.Louie,
Some additional thoughts. G1 kit from Tapco is priced right, humpback stocks are generally preferred to straight stocks, wood is always better than plastic, metric mags are plentiful, Imbel receiver has always gotten good reviews and results, and a Man can never have too many Tools. artifacts

johsp1
October 02, 2001, 16:15
Thanks to all for the input. The bit about the name Francis WAS from the movie "Stripes" and was a feeble attempt at humor. Anyway, I appreciate the info and I probably will get Gunplummer's how-to's to see what I'm getting myself into. I'm still leaning towards the M&A kit because they're coming to a local gunshow this weekend and I can inspect one before I buy it and I like the chrome lined bores.

idsubgun
October 02, 2001, 16:54
Originally posted by Francis:
<STRONG>I'm still leaning towards the M&A kit because they're coming to a local gunshow this weekend and I can inspect one before I buy it and I like the chrome lined bores.</STRONG>

They have two prices in SGN, but when I bought mine, they told me about a third price, $275. These are the ones I bought and they are beautiful!
Report back about which kits they have at the gun show and tell us condition and prices, please.
Good luck.