PDA

View Full Version : "Charging handle problem"

Radio
October 01, 2001, 15:17
Have been catching up on the Files in the few hours I have before leaving for Seattle, and found this languishing in GD with no responses. While I don't possess the magical powers of Ted or gary.jeter, I CAN cut and paste!

Topic: CHARGING HANDLE PROBLEM!
r.v. sales
FALoholic # 2643
posted September 26, 2001 19:45
"I have had this problem with at least three 'kit' guns! The rifle functions fine after assembly, but after 200-300 rds. the slot in the left side of the receiver begins to 'shrink??' and causes the charging knob to bind. It soon becomes almost impossible to retract the bolt,and when you do the mechanism is so tight the bolt will not close! Anyone else experienced this problem??!!"

I'm assuming his troubles are actually in the cocking handle itself and not a freedom of movement issue with the bolt/carrier. My guess is simple crap buildup from lack of cleaning and/or dirty ammo. Wild second guess might be he's somehow putting a bend in the handle rails that then bind in the receiver channel. Other opinions?

--Radio

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Radio ]

kotengu
October 01, 2001, 16:01
I'll go with the "crap buildup" theory (I like that technical term :D ). Sounds like 2-300 rds in, maybe after not cleaning before (those little rails are hard to get to) and a combination of tolerance problems add up to this. Did he say who made the receiver, and if this was a stock handle or US made?

idsubgun
October 01, 2001, 18:31
I'm doing a study with one of my FAL's, to see how long it will operate without cleaning. I have well over 500 rds. through it and I don't experience any of those problems.

Okay, I admit it. I just haven't cleaned it the last three times I took it out.
But, I'm still not getting the stuck charging handle problem.

JJH
October 01, 2001, 19:13
Improperly installed inch charging handle in metric receiver? They are tight and must be block sanded to fit, maybe one that was not sanded enough and as it heats up it binds? Just a thought.

r.v. sales
October 01, 2001, 21:15
radio,

thanks for the cut and paste of my original post.

the cocking handle tightening up on me has happened on three different rifles. the first, a stg kit on a d.s.a. receiver. it was so tight i had to charge the handle with a 2+4. subsequently as a direct result of cocking handle problem i later broke a part in the lower receiver. i don't believe dirt to be problem considering it was the first time it had been fired since being 'born again'. after removing cocking handle from slot in receiver and de-burring with a file i have not had any problem.

the second, a h.b. kit on a imbel L1A1 sporter receiver(early d.s.a. assemble) had similar but different problem. my father and i took cocking handle out and opened up slot ever so slightly but we also had problem with cocking handle going past it's resting dimple after being charged. with alittle modification (dremel time) we fashioned a similar slope (to other receivers) prior to its resting spot. i bought this particular rifle over the internet and was leery of it from the get go. leery because it's receiver (L1A1 imbel sporter) had been milled vertically about 1/4 deep and 1/2 over just forward of the cocking handle at the start of the receiver where it meets the barrel. anyone else seen anything like this? i've since sold this rifle and bought two h.b. kits (one unissued/unfired) and plan to build on d.s.a. type 2 receiver's, when in doubt build your own!

the last rifle a unfired f.m.a.p. post-ban rifle (i bought for $750.00 with 400 rounds of ammo), i hope i'm getting better at buying them to! anyhow, i thought i was having yet another charging handle problem, but it seems my d.s.a. scope mount was interfering with the bolt carrier. i replaced it with the original dust cover and it now functions fine. now what to do about that scope mount? any you guys had a similar problem?

thanks a million guys for any advice or recommendations, jeff a.k.a. r.v. sales

Dave1
October 01, 2001, 22:16
(L1A1 imbel sporter) had been milled vertically about 1/4 deep and 1/2 over just forward of the cocking handle at the start of the receiver where it meets the barrel

R.V. the L1A1 sporter is an inch reciever and cut for the folding charging handle unless some other wierd modification was made :rolleyes:
Charging handle on first rifle??? Steel or Aluminum???
Dave

kotengu
October 01, 2001, 22:54
Not necessarily and inch if it's from Century - they put just about anything together and labelled it whatever they felt like. It very well could be a metric. It sounds like you've figured out your problems - except for the scope mount, which seems to be the problem. Sounds like you've had a bad run of luck with a burr on the first handle, and out of spec receiver, and a tight scope mount.

Welcom to FAL's!

r.v. sales
October 01, 2001, 23:02
dave1,

i knew the h.b. kit had an inappropriate inch receiver but was unaware the vertical cut was for a folding cocking handle. i should buy a nice L1A1 so i will know firsthand the differences between inch and metric fal's.

as to which handle aluminum or steel, i don't know for i gave the rifle to my father and it is at his house. i believe if memory serves me correct it is aluminum!

thanks for the input!

Dave1
October 02, 2001, 01:22
Originally posted by r.v. sales:
<STRONG>dave1,

i knew the h.b. kit had an inappropriate inch receiver but was unaware the vertical cut was for a folding cocking handle. i should buy a nice L1A1 so i will know firsthand the differences between inch and metric fal's.

as to which handle aluminum or steel, i don't know for i gave the rifle to my father and it is at his house. i believe if memory serves me correct it is aluminum!

thanks for the input!</STRONG>

R.V. if the handle is indeed aluminum, check for galling in the charging handle rails, could be the anodizing wore off and started to deposit aluminum in the reciever rails, then every pull of the handle, it'll deposit more and more until :eek: stuck-ola, clean it out and grease the snot out of it, should help for awhile.
HTH
Dave

Master Blaster
October 02, 2001, 17:38
Might it be the charging handle lug binding in the channel cut in the receiver? I have one of VOWs new Inch folding handles and the lug binds slightly when it is retracted. The situation is for me is a self correcting one, in that the lug is wearing in as a result of repeated use. Just a thought if your lug is new or the channel is cut a bit to narrow. HTH!
Regards,
Jim :D :D :D :D

P.S. Radio,
There is no such thing as an accidental FAL, they are ALL Love FALS! ;)

[ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: Master Blaster ]