PDA

View Full Version : Argy front sight fix options...

eodinert
September 30, 2001, 23:16
..So I bought this cool open-eared Argentine barrel to put on my R1 kit. I find out that I need Israeli front sight parts, 'cause normal metric won't do. Now I hear my rear sight won't work. Front sight 'Three milimeters too tall', they say.

Well, that front sight is pretty tall. How about if I chucked it up in a lathe, turned down the top half of the flats (to the dia of the top of the post), and shortened the post by, let's say, 3mm. Is this a good idea, or should I bucks-up for a Israeli or Inch rear sight?

What are my rear sight options, if I leave the front sight alone?

How high should the top of my front sight post be (from, say, center of bore) for a metric gun?

Thanks, kids.

Doug

vmtz
September 30, 2001, 23:29
It is easier to just buy the correct site. Either an Izzy or Inch will work. I like the inch since it folds down. DSA has them for around $20.00.

Vince

Tango 1Zero
September 30, 2001, 23:51
Had same problem here. My zero was right at the sight base even with the Israeli rear sight and the lowest front post DSA had for the front Israeli post.
I had a discusion with one of their smiths.
At 50 yards it was dead on after that I had to give it a s.w.a.g.

Scientific Wild Ass Guess

Radio
October 01, 2001, 01:14
TAPCO is offering Commonwealth rear sights for a song. These are the correct height for your Argie/Izzy combo. These sights are used, DSA's are new according to my understanding.

$5.99 non-push-button, part number FAL2483
http://www.tapco.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=FAL2483&variation=&aitem=58&mitem=76&back=yes

$9.99 push-button, part number FAL2484
http://www.tapco.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=FAL2484&variation=&aitem=59&mitem=76&back=yes

--Radio

Dave1
October 01, 2001, 01:33
Radio, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the push button rear sight is Indian therefore to short, just like the metric height and won't work for the argy front sight. I could be wrong :rolleyes:
Dave

Mr pogo
October 01, 2001, 01:56
Tapco advertises it as an L1A1 pushbutton sight, it dam well better be inch as I ordered one :D

eodinert
October 01, 2001, 22:10
Thanks for the help, kids.

I checked the Tapco link for the non-push button sight. If it's 'non-push button', whats the button on the side do?

I'm a little confused on the whole 'non-push button' thing.

Doug

Dave1
October 03, 2001, 08:34
Originally posted by eodinert:
<STRONG>Thanks for the help, kids.

I checked the Tapco link for the non-push button sight. If it's 'non-push button', whats the button on the side do?

I'm a little confused on the whole 'non-push button' thing.

Doug</STRONG>

Heh, kids, you funny guy ;)
What your seeing (if it's non push button) is the space for the detent spring. See, most metric style sights have a button that you depress to slide the sight up and down the ramp. The L1 or Inch style works in a similar fashion but no button to push, has a spring detent to lock the sight.
Hope I clarified some things for you.
Dave