PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Short gas tube measurement

mp
September 30, 2001, 19:14
My long gas tube is biggered up on the end and I figured I would cop it to the shorter length and silver solder to the gas block. I need the overall length of the short gas tube Yes or no--comments?

2 clicks low
September 30, 2001, 21:14
STG 58 barrel.The tube is still installed. From the back of the front sight where the gas setting nut touches and the vent hole is I get 4.73 :)

Radio
October 01, 2001, 00:46
Suggestion: install and check for free function FIRST, then solder, THEN cut. Otherwise you'll find proper alignment to be quite problematic unless you own custom jigs. Also, since you're just altering a long tube, somewhere in the general neighborhood of 4-3/4" should be just fine; nobody will throw you in jail if it ultimately measures 4-7/8" or even (gasp) 5".

--Radio

mp
October 01, 2001, 09:46
I think I will try and salvage my long gas tube first. I am worried about the shorty getting soldered on crooked.

The gas tube in question has been peened until the rear part ID is about the size of the piston rod that travels through it. The spring also binds up there. Almost looks factory in appearance, but can't be right. I'll try and salvage it, but I have very little room to work with.