PDA

View Full Version : Truck Liner Spray Question

Sea Giant
September 30, 2001, 16:34
Hi,
I just tried some of this material on my S.A R1 furniture and it made everything look brand new. I sandblastyed the parts and then wiped down with laquer thinner before spraying. My question is,how durable is this stuff when used in this application??? Is there anyone out there who has used this on there rifle for a year or so? Any info on this would be appreciated. Can I spray with the Moly-coat and bake,so everything matches? Thanks ahead of time for any feed back on this!!!

Gaspipe
September 30, 2001, 17:06
I have had a set of Imbel synthetic furniture coated with bed liner for about 10 months now, and it still looks pretty good. The stuff is quite durable.

moparman
September 30, 2001, 19:27
What brand of bedliner did you use gaspipe?

Sophicles
September 30, 2001, 19:51
IMO this stuff could pass for OEM if applied right. Very durable, and gives the surface a "cats tounge" texture. I use the cheapo stuff found at AutoZone.

Boomer
September 30, 2001, 19:58
I have had used the spray bedliner on several firearms not just my FALs and have had great results so far (several years now).

I have used the stuff made by Platikote and Duplicolor. The only difference I have seen is one gives a more gritty texture. Don't remember which one though.

As far as moly coating and baking I would not do it as the color matches close enough for me. :)

moparman
September 30, 2001, 19:59
There aren't any Autozones up here. I used to go to Autozone when I lived in TX for a couple years. I liked them pretty well. Anyway, if I get the name of a brand that I know works, I can check the chains up here and if they don't have it, I'll order it from an independant.

Sea Giant
September 30, 2001, 21:17
Moparman-I'll get the name of what I bought and used today and pass it on tomorrow(Mon.) I bought mine from AutoZone also for about $6.00 a can. I guess this is considered the "cheap stuff" but it really dressed up my furniture like new and it appears from the feedback that it's very durable!

RHspen
September 30, 2001, 21:25
Wal-Mart has the Duplicolor. It works good, spray it from about 24" and it will go on with a fine texture.

moparman
September 30, 2001, 22:06
OK Thanks very much. :)

Sophicles
September 30, 2001, 22:17
moparman, Im fairly certain the Autozone stuff is duplicolor. I get a 'grittier' finish by increasing distance from surface.

Sea Giant
October 01, 2001, 06:44
Moparman- I went out to the shop this morning and my stuff is Dupli-color brand also. If you can get it at Wally World you're in! No one mentioned this but I would sandblast or sand the part and clean with laquer thinner before applying.A lot of times the prep work is the secret to a final success. Sorry,if this is old advice, just thought I'd mention it. Thanks to everyone with the feedback! You've got to love this site!!!

mp
October 01, 2001, 09:26
Just had to throw my two cents in. I finally got around to using the Duplicolor bed liner on some old, crappy R1 plastic handguards that I had to make some Bondo repairs too. Figured I would spray them for the hell of it and see how they turned out. They turned out GREAT and will now go on my lightweight instead of the spare parts pile.

Arado
October 01, 2001, 18:05
Have used Auto zone bed liner spray with excellent results. Used it on the bumpers of my Audi and it returned them to new. That was 18 months of use and weather. Tough stuff.. Gary

gumby
October 01, 2001, 18:22
Seems to me that when I used some acetone,this stuffs started coming off. Other than that, it works great.

Gaspipe
October 01, 2001, 18:27
Originally posted by gumby:
<STRONG>Seems to me that when I used some acetone,this stuffs started coming off. Other than that, it works great.</STRONG>

You're very probably correct. MEK, lacquer thinner, and acetone are all very strong solvents and should not be used on plastics or paints.

sparky
October 01, 2001, 20:46
Finished a set of Imbels tonight. Used the Autozone Dupli-color. I had best results from a distance.

Sumoj275
October 01, 2001, 21:23
Hey Sparky--how did you prep them?

Does this stuff work on the STG 58 metal HG?
Thanks

Derby FALs
October 01, 2001, 21:32
I used black texture paint on STG guards and it looks similar to DSA powder coat. Feels pretty good too.

Duplicolor liner is pretty durable and easy to touch up. Spray from 12" for first coat and back off to 36" for the next coat and see what you think. Don't put it on too heavy.
I sand with 150 and wash with alcohol.

Sumoj275
October 01, 2001, 22:12
Thanks

sparky
October 01, 2001, 22:15
Hi Sumo I filled the dings and fine sanded then sprayed them with brake cleaner.
Works on plastic or metal. And DSA's metal handguards on some rifles are coated.

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: sparky ]

armedpeasant
October 02, 2001, 21:30
I refinished my SAR-2 furniture with Duplicolor black bedliner. I was a little concerned, because it was wood furniture, not plastic, but it worked out pretty well. I did the metal with Brownell's teflon/moly, and it looks good. They go together well.

I didn't spray the teflon/moly on the bedliner, and wouldn't recommend it. You need to bake the teflon/moly to cure it, so you'd have to bake the bedliner along with the teflon/moly. I don't think bedliner is made for high heat applications. The teflon/moly smells bad enough when you bake it, I wouldn't want to smell burning bedliner along with it, and I don't think that the bedliner would look good after a baking. If you want to paint over the bedliner, maybe you could try Brownell's alumahyde.