PDA

View Full Version : Converting Early CAI Thumbhole Stocked FAL?

LAKEITEL
September 29, 2001, 19:00
I have one of the very early (C.1994) Thumbhole stocked FALs that Century was selling back then. This is one with the MADE IN CANADA stamped on the right side of the reciever. I have owned this rifle since 1994 and have not really done much with it as the thumbhole stock is just angering to deal with. My question. I would like to convert this into a pistol gripped style FAL but come seeking advice on where to find parts and exactley what parts I will need to get to do this. Please be as explicit as you can! Thanks in advance.

scavenger
September 29, 2001, 19:43
Originally posted by LAKEITEL:
<STRONG>I have one of the very early (C.1994) Thumbhole stocked FALs that Century was selling back then. This is one with the MADE IN CANADA stamped on the right side of the reciever. I have owned this rifle since 1994 and have not really done much with it as the thumbhole stock is just angering to deal with. My question. I would like to convert this into a pistol gripped style FAL but come seeking advice on where to find parts and exactley what parts I will need to get to do this. Please be as explicit as you can! Thanks in advance.</STRONG>

First you need a stock and pistol grip. I think www.tapco.com (http://www.tapco.com) is selling British sets(plastic), although I think its missing the p-grip plundger, spring, plate, trigger guard, and buttstock plug. You will need all of these. If I remember correctly www.entreprise.com (http://www.entreprise.com) has the same set( British plastic) complete. you can also get wood sets new from Ironwood, Dan @ VOW who is a vendor here, and entreprise(used military). Dan also has US made pistol grips. You will need to purchase 7 particular us made parts to be in BATF compliance. My suggestion is use US made, FSE hammer trigger sear from tapco.com as well as tapco gas piston. if you have a treaded barrel you will need to have a muzzle brake soldered on, If you use a us made it will count as another part. Dan @ VOW has look a like L1A1 flash hiders and US made folding cocking/charge handles.If you have no threads on the barrel you can use a set screw style one (US made) by DSarms.com, A good source for US quality made parts. Note: everyone I've mentioned makes very high quality US FAL parts.You have a inch style gun , you are able to use metric mags, and in that case you can replace the floor plate and follower. I believe RPBusa.com has many of the US parts as well.If your able to find thermold mags they have three US parts. My experience with themold mags hasen't been so great. You can get them from deltaforce.com

As a starting point this should be helpful.
This is probably the least exspensive way to convert, I'm sure you will get plenty more suggestions.

Please read this link for compliance info.
http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/usaparts.html

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: scavenger ]

Dean P
September 29, 2001, 20:35
He needs 6 US parts as the Century FAL rifle had no threaded barrel. Hello Lakeitel
:cool:

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: Dean P ]

kev
September 29, 2001, 22:52
I've swapped my Century thumbhole guns over to the DSA Dragunov thumbhole. A hundred times better, much cheaper than changing over to US parts, and I still get to keep the original quality internals.

fresca
September 29, 2001, 23:10
Mine has the "Made in Canada" label on it as well. Does anyone know who actually made them?

Note: I will not accept "Canadians" as an answer. ;)

idsubgun
September 30, 2001, 08:43
They were made by Imbel and routed through Canada. I've got one also.
If you convert to a regular PG/stock, you'll need to buy a new lower as well. They cut up the lower to put the thumbhole stocks on. They knock the little PG stud off.

Dave1
September 30, 2001, 08:52
http://Gunthings.com has replacement studs for the p-grip.
For what it's worth (FWIW) use the DSA Dragonov stock, much better feel than the butthole one and for around 80 bucks, alot less hassel to boot plus it looks good, no, I'm not a DSA employee nor do I play one on the internet :D Just my .02
Dave

scavenger
September 30, 2001, 13:32
www.gunthings.com (http://www.gunthings.com) has alot of these parts as well, Great products and service. My .02

Timber Wolf
October 01, 2001, 19:10
Had the "Dragunov" thumbhole on mine once and liked it but still wanted a p-grip. So here it is, this works.
Get a stripped "Indian" Inch lower from TAPCO ($10.99). These lowers are bastards that are Inch except they take a Metric buttstock. The tang slot must be extended slightly with a Dremel but this is not a problem. Get a Penguin buttstock and buttpad (1 US part). Get the US made Inch Ham, Trig, Sear set (3 more US parts). Get a US made Inch Grip from DAN@VOW, Ironwood, or Brownell's (US part #5). Get a US made piston and you are done. Have done this once for a bud am am doing it again on my Century butthole.

Timber Wolf
October 01, 2001, 19:20
Guess I should expand on the post above explaining my reasoning. US made Inch synthetic buttstocks are not YET available. Getting the 5 US parts in the lower plus the US piston allows you to keep the original Inch synthetic forend. My formula also eliminates the need to mess with replacing the missing stud on the old lower. You can completely replace the lower with a straight Metric one but I prefer the Inch grip and selector (you are required to modify the lower or the selector to use it on a Metric lower).