PDA

View Full Version : Tapco scope mounts any good?

Nihilist
September 28, 2001, 23:16
I was looking at a scope mount Tapco has on their web site. It's made of aircraft aluminum and looks pretty good. Has anyone ever used these? are they of quality construction and reliability? I was thinking of getting this mount along with a 3X9 power rubber armored scope for my FAL.
Any feedback ? thought or suggestion?

MRickenback
September 29, 2001, 01:21
Back to top...

I would like to know too. :)

_MDR

MRickenback
September 29, 2001, 20:00
Well Nihilist I think I am gonna just buy one and see what they are like. If you can stand waiting a week or so I will post a review about it and let ya know.

Mr.Tapco... just because it's your product doesn't mean you can't add your 2 cents worth :p Can you give us a little more detail about them?

-MDR

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: FALfool ]

Newbie2FALs
September 29, 2001, 20:29
If it's made by Leapers(sp)
the're ok...Never saw a DSA so nothing to compare mine with.......

Nihilist
September 29, 2001, 23:53
Ok FalFool, sounds good to me ;) :p

Nihilist
September 29, 2001, 23:54
BTW Fal Fool, what type of scope would you be planning on using? I was looking at Tapco's rubber armored 3x9 power scopes and they look pretty good and aren't too expensive? What say you?

jim6625
September 30, 2001, 09:31
Hey guys, Just wanted to add my two cents. I bought four of these type of mounts. Two from Fac there Euro-sniper model with rings and Leapers from Tapco. For my money Leapers is my choice. great fit, finish is satin black and overall contour adds that right look to any Fal set-up. Fac's set-up finish is semi-gloss black, rings run a little small for one inch tube mount, screws to short tend to strip easy. I just found a great deal on Leapers and other products here's the web site check it out Nationlink.net/sksman/ and come with great set of rings. Happy Shooting..... :) :D ;)

MRickenback
September 30, 2001, 10:17
Nihilist: The rubber 3-9 was one of my top choices too :) . I think it would make a grat intro scope and if I out grow it I have serveral other rifles that it would look good on!

Signman56: Thanks man! Gonna go check out those deals right now!

-MDR

Bruce Allen
September 30, 2001, 11:08
Originally posted by FALfool:
<STRONG>Nihilist: The rubber 3-9 was one of my top choices too :) . I think it would make a grat intro scope and if I out grow it I have serveral other rifles that it would look good on!

Signman56: Thanks man! Gonna go check out those deals right now!-MDR</STRONG>

I would suggest you consider something I was told years ago: The scope should be better than the rifle you put it on.

In optics you get what you pay for. Always

MRickenback
September 30, 2001, 23:02
I hear that Bruce. A really good scope, however cost more than really good money :)
I still have to get the wife adjusted to me spending the cost of serveral of the C&R rifles I usually buy on 1 rifle.. heeee heeee.

Besides this is just a starter scope that will like end it's days on one of my Enfields or a BB Rifle.

-MDR

pariah
September 30, 2001, 23:11
I like my Tapco mount, very good looking. One thing I had a problem with was some interference with the cocking lever. A little filing on the mount and it was fine.

MRickenback
October 01, 2001, 12:56
Ok Parhia, thanks for the heads up on that one bro.

-MDR

racer766
October 01, 2001, 17:27
I bought the Leapers mount from Tapco, and a Tasco 3-9x40 locally ($40). I used Millett high angle-loc rings, no problem. I have put about 100rds downrange with that combo, and it hasn't shifted yet. No loctite (yet...) and everything is snug but not "tight" by my fingers. The elevation/windage knobs did what they were supposed to. I kept 20 rds inside a 2x5 rectangle at 100 (strung right and high, I was standing braced against a post) for the best group but averaged 4x4" off a cinder block (poor man's rest...)

Good enough, I think. Next time I'll try it at 200yds.

Terick
October 02, 2001, 17:43
Just bought the Tapco mount, looks good, went together easy and seems to hold well. Only had cheap see thru (Tasco?) rings and an old 4x32 scope to test drive it and it all seemed to hold together for about 40 rounds. Needed the high rings to clear the rear sight. My Tapco piston seems to be just a bit undersized and I was getting some FTF. There was a good amount of slamming the butt on the ground to clear it. The scope/mount made a nice handle and got no respect, didn't come loose tho which kinda surprised me; no loctite on anything yet. Would say it's worth the price.

MRickenback
October 02, 2001, 18:41
Excellent info Terick!

I am gonna order one this weekend!

Lance
October 02, 2001, 21:50
I just received my Tapco scope mount and had some trouble with the fit. The distance between the outside edges of the lower receiver were a point of interference for simply sliding it on and I had to do a little filing on the scope mount to make it go on at least snugly. Also the front part of the mount where it mates up to the reciever at the upper right of the ejection port was interfering with the fit and had to be dremeled out a fair bit. The contoured radius at the front of the receiver where the scope mount mates on the left side was not a very good fit and I did a little reforming on the receiver to make the radis match the mount. And last but not least, after getting the fit just right everywhere else, I went to assemble the lower onto the upper and lock it into place then discovered that the mount was about .050" too long for it to lock. (DOH!) So I milled off about .055" from the back of the mount and viola! It fits perfectly now. I'm a little unhappy about having to to all this work to make it fit but I am hesitant to blame Tapco. It may well be the fault of the Hesse receiver on this FrankenFal.

I also ordered the 5 magazine package from Tapco and received them. They are all in good working order with 2 of them appearing brand new. On those 2, the paint isnt even worn off the followers where the bolt rides over them. What a bargain at $25.00!

Lance

GridSpot
October 03, 2001, 00:24
Bummer about the fit problems Lance. My TAPCO mount fit perfectly on my gear logo Imbel R1. I've shot around 200 rounds through her w/ a 3-9X40 Tasco "World Class" cheapie ($34 @ Walmart!) and I haven't lost zero yet. The aluminum will scar up a bit around the ejection port from the brass, but other than that, pretty happy for $29.99! That's using the TAPCO Leapers $4.95 "Tactical" rings. Anyone know of any decent high rings that would allow the use of the iron sites as well? Dave.

W.E.G.
October 03, 2001, 00:29
You can touch up scuffed aluminum with a black magic marker.

Mac's!
October 03, 2001, 11:15
I put one of the Leapers mounts on my Imbel/STG and had a little bit of trouble with it moving back and forth. It was just a tad to short to lock up tight front to back. Also, the screws were soft. I drilled and tapped some extra clamp holes and used a better grade of screw. I also used a center punch to put some dots on the inner clamp rails. It locks up tight now with no movement at all!!! I also used three scope rings on a Simmons 3x9x50 scope and it works very nice. Oh, I did have to use a one inch riser to get enough clearance for the scope bell. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.