PDA

View Full Version : If the gas regulator isn't #, how do you tell....

Michael64
September 28, 2001, 09:41
If the gas regulator isn't numbered, how do you tell what its set for?
My SAR48 doesn't have numbers on the gas regulator.

Can I easily replace this part with one that is numbered?
Does it need to be aligned in anyway?

EMDII
September 28, 2001, 10:47
Rotating the regulator fully forward against the gas block CLOSES the bleed port, and ALL the gas works on the piston This is position 0 or 1. One complete revolution OPEN is full open (w/ few exceptions), each click being 'one' or 1/2. Count from full-closed to full-open.

Start adjustments w/ the regulator FULL OPEN, closing it one click at a time until you get reliable operation, ejection & extraction, and the auto-BHO functions when the last round in the magazine clears.

Try this and let us know. Replacement means pulling things down. You don't need no stinking numbers, just an adjustable regulator.
;)

EMDII
September 28, 2001, 11:19
Originally posted by Tim B:
<STRONG>Ted, you beat me to it. LOL
Tim</STRONG>

;)

Trigger happy and bored!

dino1
September 28, 2001, 12:40
Well how do you adjust the gas system when your rifle doesn't have a BHO ala L1A1?

EMDII
September 28, 2001, 14:24
Adjust gas as above. Ejection should be forward 45 degrees off bore centerline, and approximately one or two metres away. Erratic ejection should encourage you to examine/clean the extractor groove and spring.

EMDII
September 28, 2001, 14:40
I'm leaving now!
:D

Michael64
September 30, 2001, 14:51
So how many numbered positions are there on the regulator sleeve? For those numbered that is.

redneck whitesox PBR
October 01, 2001, 07:34
Ya gotta hold yer mouth right and use that there kaintucky windage !

zoom
October 02, 2001, 11:16
One complete revolution OPEN is full open (w/ few exceptions), each click being 'one' or 1/2. Count from full-closed to full-open.

Clicks? The gas regulator sleeve on my G1 doesn't click. Am I missing something?z

fenian15
October 02, 2001, 23:31
If this helps, you'll be able to see the little hole in the gas tube become more exposed as you ratchet the adjustment wheel in the open direction. You might need the gas tube wrench...some of those can be really tight.

On my M444 that I put a couple of thousand rounds through before I ever played with the gas setting, it was a might stiff hehehe.

I was throwing the brass about 30 feet out to the side and a little forward...an old timer finally came up to me one day and suggested I dial down the gas setting. It suddenly dawned on me that I had never adjusted it since I bought the rifle new!

Needless to say, it was fully closed...I think it's on about 4 now. Much better... ;)

zoom
October 03, 2001, 01:37
Does the G1 have a gas regulator sleeve spring? I didn't receive one with my G1 parts kit from Tapco.z